1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Montgomery Advertiser

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by slappy4428, Jul 26, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And with "entry level," knowledge of AP style is optional...

Description:
    The Montgomery (AL) Advertiser is about to launch a new zoned editon for one of our growing neighborhoods. We are looking for a reporter who will primarily cover recreational sports in this community, but some other news as well. This position requires ability to work quickly, somewhat independently and accurately in a fast-paced enviroment to produce the print product as well as to post stories on montgomeryadvertiser.com. Recent college graduates with sports writing experience and published clips will be considered. Contact Wanda Lloyd, executive editor, at wlloyd@gannett.com, 334-261-1509. Send letter outlining why you want to work at our newspaper and what you would bring to the table, along with work samples and references.

The Montgomery Advertiser is part of the Gannett Co., an equal opportunity employer, and offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and opportunities for advancement.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Who's the SE over there? For some reason, I thought they lost their SE a while back.

3. L.C. Johnson is SE now. Ben Thomas left for Mobile a few months ago.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

New zoned edition? Prattville?

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

It's a Gannett paper. RUN!! RUN FOR YOUR CAREERS!!!

6. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

I'm very interested and would love to apply for this job, but I'm from New Jersey. What's the lifestyle like in Alabama? And what's the deal with Gannett? Does it really matter if you're young and would like to get started at a daily?

7. soontobegrad

soontobegrad Guest

Also, what would life be like for non-white folk like myself? I'm sorry if I sound terribly ignorant. The farthest south I have ever been in my life is Maryland, so all I know are stories. Some good, some bad, but that's probably the way it is for any place in the world.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's Montgomery. You're not in Bubbaville. You're in the state capitol. Also remember that Birmingham and the beach are only a couple hours away. Yes, it's the deeeeeeeeeep south, but there are far worse places to live.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

'Bama itself is a great state to live in, especially if you like your college football served on a silver platter on Saturdays. Birmingham's nice, and the shore's not too far away. The downside is you're dealing with Gannett, who it seems would rather cover sixth-grade pickup basketball games than sports that really matter. Also be wary; if the chain loses one penny, here comes another round of job cuts.

That said, after all the disparaging Gannett remarks, the Advertiser might be a good fit for some writers. Good luck to those who are applying. :)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In some situations, hypotheically of course, dealing with Alabama would be far easier than dealing with Gannett... And when the ad says "cover recreational sports," that's not to be blown off; that's the main focus.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The city and country are both split virtually 50-50 between black and white. And a decent chunk of the black population is middle or upper class, thanks to employers like state government, the air force base and Alabama State Univ., a good-sized HBCU.

It's not perfect by any means, but Montgomery seems to be less polarized than, say, Birmingham on race.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I haven't checked census stats or anything, but I believe Montgomery's population is majority black.

Draft saved Draft deleted