1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/Miami gig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rookie23, Nov 12, 2006.

1. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

hey, if you work for AP, you're on call all the time. Especially when you're hoping to get some sleep.

great job for the young and ambitious, though. two years on an AP beat in a big city/region will set you up for anything.

2. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I, like others, have heard that the AP hires from within. So the obvious question is: How does one break in with the AP? How does one go about getting his or her foot in the door?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A former co-worker/still good friend broke into a high-profile job from the outside. I'm pretty sure it helped that said person is damn good and if you meet that qualification, you've got a good shot of getting in.

4. riverrats95

riverrats95 Member

This one's filled. Got my no thanks today. But another sports job is coming soon, they say.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Among others, AP has new listings for an ASE and desk person in New York.

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/34472/

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

To answer your question, a number of recent hires have come from outside AP. So yes, it's possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted