1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Metro New York

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MetroNY, Jan 12, 2007.

1. MetroNY

MetroNY New Member

This position can expect to earn around $28k.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Keep in mind though that you won't get much in the way of clips. Few stories are longer than 5 inches. On the plus side, the company is so unstable you could be there a year and end up as director of North American papers.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've done some freelance stuff for them where I've written a 5-inch story for ROP and a longer version for their Web site. So you can get some clips via Web-related stuff.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Could you elaborate on this? I had believed that the only Web content they offer is PDF versions of the paper. Taking a quick look, it seems the site hasn't been updated since Jan. 2.

5. JME

JME Member

28K in NYC, good luck with that one.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

28k part time? I'll deal with it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, central park is, like, well, outdoors.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You get a second job.

Everyone acts like that's a foreign thing.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you get a job in, like, china?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

and if you get sick or injured, you could also find out there's almost nothing worse than living without health insurance for a year or two.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Agree, BYH. But any good JRC refugee/employee would know that.

12. MetroNY

MetroNY New Member

Regarding the clips:

We have a functional Web site that is in the process of being upgraded to conform to some of our international sites. What we recommend is writing "regular" newspaper-sized stories for the Web, "Metro-ized" versions for print, then we often refer from paper to Web. This way, readers can continue to get more information from us via the Web and you can get clips that actually mean something.

Draft saved Draft deleted