1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Meridian, MS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jlw, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

That's not even in the state of Mississippi. It's in an alternate parallel universe that sometimes opens a doorway with our own reality. Former Trezevant coach Lynn Lang, better known as the man who sold Albert Means to the highest bidder, is the football coach there. Port Gibson is kind of like the mirror universe in Star Trek. Anyway....

Meridian does get out to some college games. They did staff the New Orleans Bowl just like we did. It's not a bad area for preps and the JUCO there has an excellent baseball program. Meridian dethroned the mighty University of South Panola, ending an 89-game winning streak, longest in the country. Up to that point, the boys from Coffin Town won five consecutive Class 5A titles. That's no mean feat.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Rocky Higginbotham is a quality SE and good guy.

Bamadog is correct about Meridian CC baseball. Once had to endure such a rain delay at the region tournament that the championship game ended at 1 a.m.

If Hilary Allen is still the the women's hoops coach at MCC, he's (yes, a guy) a riot. Loved sitting next to his bench.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Whoever gets this gig will experience the joys of covering Scooba Tech (AKA East Mississippi CC). At least now US 45 is a four-lane highway. My grandparents lived in Columbus before they passed on and that stretch of road north of Meridian used to be a nightmare, 90 miles of heavily-traveled two-lane over deep-forested hills through tiny burgs such as Scooba, Electric Mills and Shuqualak (and not much of anything else).

Ditto that about Rocky, too; he's a first-class guy.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

And the MHS quarterback promptly signed with Mississippi State. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :) :)
    Rocky's been in the area a long time and knows what's important to readers. The staff, though, has always been undersized compared to what's expected to be covered.
    I used to string for this paper in the 90s.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Don't forget about Peavey Electronics.

Edit: To correct faulty spelling.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

The hometown of Jimmie Rodgers, the Singing Brakeman. :)

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'd heard Rocky's been under the weather of late. Nothing serious I hope.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

And Sela Ward, too. (Unfortunately, no photo to accompany. So, dock me a couple.) ;)

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've been informed that he's fine.

10. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Rocky is a great guy for sure.

And yes, Sela Ward does hail from there. You'll also get to see all of the T-45 Goshawks you could ever hope to see buzzing the busy circuit around Meridian NAS. They're red and white and you can't miss 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted