1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, McMinnville, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 23, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

High-quality family-owned tri-weekly in heart of Oregon wine country seeks sportswriter to join 2.5-member staff covering preps and Linfield College. Section routinely wins state, regional and national honors. Copyediting and page design skills essential, as No. 2 lays out section in Adobe InDesign in absence of editor. Looking for cover letter, resume, clips and references to Managing Editor Steve Bagwell at sbagwell@newsregister.com or News-Register, P.O. Box 727, McMinnville, OR 97128. Any offer subject to drug screen. See http://www.newsregister.com/jobs for full details.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I got my start here.

This is a great little paper in a nice little community about 40 minutes from Portland.

They cover seven high schools and Linfield. The schools have tradition-rich rivalries and are home to multi-state champions. Amity-Dayton is the best small-school rivalry in Oregon. The farthest school is still less than an hour away (Willamina and The Delphian School).

The only reason I left was finances. It's private-owned, so the wages are lower than usual and the cost of healthcare is through the roof. But if your spouse makes good money and has good benefits, this is a great place to stay.

3. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

I got my start in McMinnville, too.
    Not in the newspaper business. I was born in McMinnville.
    When people who know I grew up in Oregon ask if I'm a Duck or Beaver I say that my favorite team when I was a kid was Linfield College in McMinnville. Back then, Linfield always won, while the Ducks and Beavers almost always lost.

Don't know much about the paper but McMinnville is a nice, quiet town.

4. Giggity

Giggity Member

Linfield's football team holds the NCAA record for consecutive winning seasons … they took it from Notre Dame a few years ago. I think they made it 50 in a row last year.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Pleasant college town, wineries nearby, bring your mist deflector. Salem competes in the area, for what it's worth.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Is this a 3-day-er?

7. HandsomeHarley

Yes. Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday.

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

It's also the birthplace of McMenamin's (sp?) beer, right?

9. HandsomeHarley

Yep. You have to try the Irish stew there.

It's also the hometown of 1998 World Series MVP Scott Brosius.

3rd Street Pizza also is excellent, and is a short walk from the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted