1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, McLean, Va

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 26, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Love your job. We work hard, but we have fun here. Join a small but excellent team of sports editors and reporters.
    Cover high school and community sports in suburban Washington DC for award-winning chain of weeklies. Cover events, write features and sports news stories, participate in project reporting and writing, design and layout pages.

Connection Newspapers sports sections have won dozens of top press awards in just the last few years. We know sports coverage is key to our readership.

We want to push the envelope, go beyond superficial. We are not looking for routine coverage and bland writing.

Job requires passion for sports, ability to multi-task, energy, strong writing and reporting skills, knowledge of pagemaker or other layout programs.

Sports team also contributes to editorial projects.

Two weeks paid vacation plus extra paid time off around the holidays. Health benefits, 401K plan. Raise after 90 days.

Position is available immediately. Unfortunately we cannot reimburse relocation expenses.

Send cover letter, resume and three clips to ConnectionResumes@hotmail.com, or fax to 703-917-0997, attn: Mary Kimm, or mail to Connection Newspapers, 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102. We prefer email applications with text pasted into the body of the email

2. There are a few folks on these boards that can speak to the quality of this gig. PM me if you want some insight...

3. credroc

credroc Member

Wow, this is a first see for me.
    What the deal-eo?

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

There has been an opening here before maybe about 4 months ago or so if my memory serves correct.

5. Football in Northern Virginia is huge. Work weeks of 50-60+ days are probably the norm. The other weekly paper in the area, The Times Community, is not read nearly as well as this one. One catch about this gig, you must have another source of income, live with your parents or have friends to stay with. No chance you can live in this area with that pay.

Yes, the job was open before. The sports staff has had some turn over in the past seven months, but so is the life of a weekly paper in Northern Virginia where your making less than 28k per year.

I live around the area and read the paper. For outsiders coming in, you have no idea about how expensive stuff is and how much traffic sucks.

6. jshecket

jshecket Member

This position is still open, which is to say, I'm still there.

Keep the resumes coming, people.

PM me for details.

7. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

How can a paper not pay its reporters enough to live in an apartment by themselves? And why would anyone want to go to a place that would require you to get a second job when you already put in 50-plus a week? So happy to be leaving this godforsaken biz. Sorry to those who are actually interested in this job.

8. Napolean23

Napolean23 Member

I worked at this job for nearly two years and it launched me to an incredible gig. That is not the norm in this job. You must work hard and create your own path.

It's not true that you need another source of income to survive or live with your parents. That is simply just not the case.

PM me if you want more details...

Draft saved Draft deleted