1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer -- McAllen (Texas) Monitor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Jun 2, 2008.

1. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Any word on this one?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Didn't you answer your phone when we called?

3. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

You're hired.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I tell you man every sports job posting should include - must be complete smart-ass in addition to other requirements.

5. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

A sense of humor wouldn't hurt, either.

6. All position and wage increases over here at Freedom are currently frozen, but just for this quarter, unless the job is essential or revenue generating. Guess the sports opening was decided to be "essential"

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'll say this for the area. It is way down there. I know a lot of people who took their first teaching jobs in the Port Isabel/Harlingen/Brownsville/McAllen area because you are near Mexico and near South Padre Island. Then after you are down there a while you realize you are near nothing else. It really is isolation.
    McAllen used to be among the top areas in the nation in poverty level. I don't know where it ranks now.
    But, the area is growing, and yeah, from what I know they do cover all the items listed in the ad. And yeah, HS football is king.
    It's decent area, but just remember if it's an issue with you closest NBA team is in San Antonio (about 250 miles away), closest MLB and NFL is Houston (350). And driving to either of those cities includes long, boring stretches of nothing (well except for the King Ranch, Immigration checkpoint and the world's worst rrest stop).

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

How can you have a sense of humor when the industry is dying. Have some tact.

Go Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees!

9. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Is that the team Rajan covers?

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

No, he covers the Corpus Christi team. Not sure who the Bees beat writer is.

Who's leaving the Monitor, btw?

11. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Oh yeah, that's right. I'm a dumbass. I think it's Brian Sandalow that covers the Bees.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

BUZZ. I mean, Ding, you are correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted