1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer -- McAllen (Texas) Monitor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Jun 2, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=239683

Way down there ... Monterrey is basically a day trip. Wonder how many of those teams listed are involved in this position's "variety of beats."

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Anyone know the staff? or anything about the paper? Seems like a decent gig but the area could be sketchy.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I know a guy who works in the design department at this fishwrap. He's very good. That's all I have.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

got some friends that work there. Decent spot to live from what I hear, but didn't they just have an opening last year for this spot?

5. RJ Levin

RJ Levin New Member

Yeah, same spot but this is a different opening.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I never worked with Wade Baker, but worked at a former stop of his with some of his former colleagues. One day, he did call the desk to let us know that an NFL player who had announced his retirement that day played at one of the local high schools.

For him to willingly help like that was appreciated. Cynics can label that meddling or micromanaging, but I don't. If a guy like that is your SE, that tells me that he wants the details, but it also tells me that he'll help his staff.

As for McAllen, I know next to nothing about it, other than the odd bit I learned from Wade and another former staffer.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Is this a Freedom Communications paper?

Edit: To answer, yes it is. Interesting that McAllen is hiring, but Odessa is in a hiring freeze.

8. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Odessa just had a sports opening so the hiring freeze either just ended or just started

9. TheCapital

TheCapital New Member

Wade's good people. I worked in McAllen for awhile a few years ago. Message me if you have questions. Not a bad spot at all. But, yeah, it's way the hell down there.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Odessa had two guys leave. Only one was replaced.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Holy shit. Not to threadjack, but I went on their Web site to check out what it looks like and you will never believe this story - or the accompanying photograph, which has to be an award-winner:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fuck. Without reading that story I would have guessed a half-dozen dead bicyclists.

Draft saved Draft deleted