1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, Martinsville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Georgiaguy

Georgiaguy Member

The whole thing seemed a little hinky to me. She did tell me that she was in panic mode with two leaving. I was also told that the guy who took over would not jump stories and that it made the layout very grey. I do not know who is the current SE or what he was told, just relaying what was said to me. I think they have been trying to replace the guy who works at the speedway for so long (seven years I think) that they have forgotten that sometimes new is not bad.
    At least that is my take on it.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Yes, all three are leaving within two weeks of each other. And I agree that if they are upping the ante to anything more than $26-27k, that it will be a 2-person department. The last SE made it a rule from Day 1 that they weren't going to jump stories. He also had sentence-long headlines and some other things, which might be good, and might be bad (I lean toward bad) but the point is that what he was doing was different, and that is not what the Bulletin is looking for. The same-old same-old is good enough for them (especially when it comes to layout). The SE at this paper is little more than a figure head, a person to direct angry phone calls to, and someone who will be blamed when things go wrong and ignored when things go well. And the writers are a step below that. Bottom line is that the pay is not worth the hassle of working there, especially now when they're so short-staffed (or, rather, non-staffed).

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So say they did hire someone at the 34K or even 40K since they are so desparate.

What are the odds that that person would be fired/let go within a year if they found someone else cheaper? My guess is pretty likely.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hopefully said person would see the handwriting on the wall and use it as a means to make a lateral move somewhere else.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You mean there's someone out there who would actually welcome the idea of working in Martinsville, Virginia?

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That job is suited for ... nobody.

7. Tarheel316

Does anybody know if a victim has been selected for this gig?

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

YOU'RE DRAFTED!

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There was a time when I would have jumped at the opportunity, difficult or not.

Like most jobs, this one can be what you make of it.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I agree. I've read every Martinsville thread about how they want conformity to what's always been the norm. I would break the mold and put out a sports section worth reading, and it would be morning in Martinsville again.

11. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I know a few people who I'd like to see detained there, without the possibility of parole ...

ColbertNation knows who I'm talkin' about ... :)

12. Tarheel316

Expendable, I thought we didn't have a draft anymore.lol

Songbird, what you're saying is noble but it's the people who run that paper who would make that pretty much impossible. I have actually met them so I'm not just going by what people say on this board. Whoever does go there, I certainly wish that person well.

Draft saved Draft deleted