1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, Martinsville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 2, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

On paper, you are probably right. Reality is another matter.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She can have someone who does the job of 3 people already. All she has to do is PM me.

3. boots

boots New Member

Xan, it might be better if you contacted her by phone and/or e-mail. If you're ready to tackle the job, I think it's there for the taking.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I find it shocking that she said they would consider paying 34K. And I would caution anyone who took that at face value. They lured the most recent SE there by telling him he could do whatever he wanted to with the section, which turned out to be a flat-out lie. I'm not saying that this was a lie -- they are more desperate than ever before -- but I would be cautious.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Colbert, let me get this straight. All THREE staffers are leaving in the next several days? And I would be absolutely shocked if they paid 34K for an SE. Those people are really tight with money.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some schools open Aug. 24. Most will begin play Aug. 31.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If they hold true to their word, 34K wouldn't be that bad in Martinsville, actually.

Football does start on the 24th for some of the more rural schools and privates.

8. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I'd be really surprised if they would pay $34,000 unless they were hiring that one person with the idea of it being a one-man show. That's a lot of money for a not-so-great shrinking paper in a shrinking industry, especially when they can get away with paying less because of the low cost of living there.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Drew,
    You should call up Ginny and get yourself and offer then use it as a bargaining chip with your bosses. :D

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

If Martinsville pays $34K, I'd be willing to be your three-person department would shrink to a two-person department in a hurry.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

And $40K in Martinsville is like making $65K. Everything is so cheap there. That said, nobody with a brain that's even 2% functional would take that job.

12. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I like your thinking!

Draft saved Draft deleted