1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, Martinsville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 2, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

LETS NOT GET THIS ONE LOCKED!
    Wanted: Sportswriter/desk staffer to join three-person sports department at 20,000 a.m. in Southside Virginia. Successful candidate will cover preps and other local sports, including Martinsville Speedway's two Nextel Cup races each year; edit copy and paginate with Quark XPress. New grads with experience as well as sportswriters on weeklies or those looking for new challenges are welcome to apply. Send resume and clips to Ginny Wray, editor, Martinsville Bulletin, P.O. Box 3711, Martinsville, Va. 24115; fax 276-638-7409; email (.txt ) only files to ginnywray@hotmail.com

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Oh boy...

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I don't know what more needs to be said. Except that there's no three-person staff to join. The SE leaves on Saturday; one writer leaves on the 13th; and the other writer leaves on the 17th. This is a desperate paper looking for desperate people to fill the sports department.

4. boots

boots New Member

And football season begins in four weeks.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

$40,000, Ginny.

6. boots

boots New Member

Ginny IS NOT GIVING UP 40K

7. Songbird

If she's desperate, and wants someone who can step in tomorrow, she will.

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Earlier than that ... Martinsville HS began its official practices on Aug. 1, its first scrimmage will be held Aug. 17 and its first game is scheduled for Aug. 31 (and the season may begin the week before that statewide; someone familiar with Virginia prep sports can answer that better than I can) ...

9. boots

boots New Member

Well that's where the problem begins. She won't pay that much and yes, Martinsville did begin practice on Aug. 1.
    This is not a good situation.

10. Georgiaguy

Georgiaguy Member

I sent in my resume for the sports editor job and got a call back. They said they wanted to pay around $24,000. I told them thanks, but no thanks, and that I would not come for less than $34,000. Ginny called back and said they were open to that later that day.
    She then called back Wednesday and wanted me to come for an interview. I just could not do it because of all the bad things I have heard about the place and how they go throgh sports editors and staff.
    Ginny seemed like a nice person, but as she tried to defend the paper, I knew I wanted nothing to do with the place, and I need a job right now.

11. Songbird

If they'll pay $34K, they'll pay $40K.

12. boots

boots New Member

If you truly need the job, I would strongly suggest that you go for it and see what happens. Getting something is better than getting nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted