1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Martinsville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by markdt, Sep 25, 2013.

1. markdt

markdt New Member

From JournalismJobs.com:

Company: Martinsville Bulletin
    Position:Sports writer Wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified

Wanted: Sports writer for a three-person sports department at 17,000 a.m. in Southside Virginia. Successful candidate will cover the Martinsville Speedway's two Sprint Cup races each year as well as preps, area college teams and other local sports; edit copy; and paginate with Quark XPress. New grads with experience as well as sportswriters on weeklies or those looking for new challenges are welcome to apply. Send resume and clips to Ginny Wray, Editor, Martinsville Bulletin, P.O. Box 3711, Martinsville, Va. 24115; fax 276-638-7409; email (.txt ) only files to ginnywray@hotmail.com

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Cover "area college teams" but not Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, which is less than two hours away. By area college teams, they mean the basketball team at the local community college.

4. markdt

markdt New Member

I can clarify a few things about this position because it's one I held up until December of 2012.

The comment above is correct. The only college team in the area this writer will cover is Patrick Henry Community College. And Blacksburg is closer to two hours away than one.

There is one opportunity listed that I will expand on. One of the more interesting prep teams to cover in the area is Carlisle School's basketball team, which features one of the top prospects in the Class of 2016 -- Thon Maker. It's a really fun team to watch and Carlisle will be playing a national schedule this year.

Covering the races at Martinsville Speedway is really great too. I really enjoyed it.

The other two guys in the sports department are great guys and easy to get along with. This would make a great starter job (as it was for me), but could also be filled by someone with a few years under his or her belt. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the position.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Roswell, you're on the clock.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

1 hour, 48 minutes per Google Maps.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Can be lots of factors involved.

How's the manpower situation? If you are in a place that has heavy preps or other Saturday events and/or a heavy page load, you may be more needed on the homefront or in the office than you are providing the same thing they can get via AP. This was quite often the case in several cities where I worked.

8. markdt

markdt New Member

You do a fair amount of page design. So you'll cover preps (which is the majority of the live events covered in this position), but there will be nights you work at the desk taking calls and putting pages together. I would say for every five-day work week, you'd probably cover 2-3 games on average.

There are three people on this sports desk. The Bulletin covers eight high schools within the Piedmont District (plus Carlisle) but only focuses closely on four of those eight public high schools. You won't be over-stretched, but you will be busy.

As far as the AP goes, you would rarely cover something the AP does (the rare exception is racing coverage).

9. kjkeller

kjkeller New Member

Sorry to disappoint you Songbird!

I'm into my fifth year in Roswell and my No. 2 is coming up on his four-year anniversary here.

Pretty stable here these days.

10. Songbird

Must be the steamy pot pies.

Good to hear the RDR found a sports team.

11. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

NO KITTY, THAT'S POT PIE'S POT PIE!

12. Songbird

BOOOOOOOOSH!

Draft saved Draft deleted