1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Martinsville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SportsGuyBCK, Jul 16, 2006.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Found this on JournalismJobs.com ...

Company: Martinsville Bulletin
    Position: Wanted Sportswriter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 19, 2006
    Job ID: 252969
    Description:
    Wanted: Sportswriter/desk staffer to join three-person sports department at 20,000 a.m. in Southside Virginia. Successful candidate will cover preps and other local sports, including Martinsville Speedway's two Nextel Cup races each year; edit copy and paginate with Quark XPress. Send resume and clips to Ginny Wray, editor, Martinsville Bulletin, P.O. Box 3711, Martinsville, Va. 24115; fax 276-638-7409; email (.txt ) only files to ginnywray@hotmail.com

2. Keystone

Keystone Member

Where to start on this one, considering we've talked about this paper a lot.

How about here:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/27519/

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Here we go again ...

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This newspaper is a prime example of everything that is wrong with journalism.

Shitty pay, shitty city, constant turnover, yet management changes nothing. Every position is a hodgepodge of every task imaginable.

The method for laying out a page here (at least at one time): Draw the widest box possible. Flow a story into it. Then just keep stairstepping downward, going around ads as necessary.

5. SportsGuyBCK

Whereever that previous ad (the "unknown" ad) came from, it wasn't from Martinsville ... that comes from someone who is there (and is actually happier there than at a previous job with an MG paper) ...

According to my insider, Martinsville's sports editor has given notice and the management there is going to promote one of the staffers to the job ... the ad will be to fill that soon-to-be vacant position ...

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hmmm ... then I have no bloody clue where in Virginia that unknown job is, and I know the Va. papers pretty well. Huh.

If you don't like the SE or the weather in Martinsville, just wait 15 minutes and it'll change.

Moody still lists this as a D bond.

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

I was an SE at another paper in Southside VA and had to deal with at least three different SEs at the Bulletin during my two-year tenure. I wonder how many they've had in the four years since I left.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think Roswell and Martinsville are the two openest jobs in the country. Every few weeks months the job opens up.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think you were right the first time.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I thought the cuirrent SE had just started. That place is such a mess and the biggest reason is the person in charge of the newsroom.

11. SportsGuyBCK

Apparently the current SE has been there a few years (I think he started there as a sports writer, and wound up SE through attrition), but feels that it's time to move on ...

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

So then general thoughts on this are bad, bad, bad?

Draft saved Draft deleted