1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer- Marshall, MN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1537803

Company: Marshall Independent
    Position:
    Seeking full-time sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    November 26, 2013
    Job ID: 1537803

Description:

The Marshall Independent, an award-winning six-day-a-week newspaper in southwest Minnesota, is seeking a full-time sports writer with strong people skills and an ability to work independently, as well as with a small team. Quark and Photoshop knowledge and photography skills are a must for this position. Marshall, a growing and diverse community with a small-town feel, is home to NCAA Division II Southwest Minnesota State University. Besides SMSU athletics, the Independent also covers a dozen area high schools in the region. The right candidate will write features, cover college and high school athletics, design pages, shoot photos, blog and would at times be responsible for sports-related updating on our website. Send a resume with references and clips to Editor Per Peterson at phpeterson@marshallindependent.com

2. jla74m

jla74m Member

This is my newspaper. I am the sports editor. Interested persons may PM me with questions.

3. jla74m

jla74m Member

It has been a few months, but this job is still available. Interested persons may PM me with questions.

4. at 20K a year, you can't be surprised.

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

But don't you want to report, blog, write articles, shoot pictures and then design pages for that price?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's a town of 13,000 people. With all due respect, most likely an entry-level job. Chance to get some clips, experience, etc. Things that are valuable for many without insider connections who don't walk into the New York Times the day after graduation.

Yes, you may need to work a second job, depending on your needs. Nothing shameful about that. Have several friends doing it, including a single mom. It is what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted