1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer makes up quotes, is fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Read and weep, May 2, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

"Just put something down" burned me - as the subject, not the reporter.

At my college paper, one of the folks wanted to do a New Year's Resolution package. I don't make New Year's Resolution, so I just gave something really generic. About 10 words. She wanted closer to a hundred so I stupidly said "Well, flesh that out to 100 words."

That came back to bite me and not in a "listen to this funny story from college" way but a "defend myself in front of the dean" way. My photo, my byline saying that I was had drugs in my possession....

So, I would never do that with the shoe on the other foot because I know what it feels like

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is totally different than taking quotes from a broadcast and using them, especially when covering a game remotely (not in person). It may be all you can get on deadline.

Hey, if the radio guys are going to use MY story verbatim in their morning broadcast, I can use a quote from a radio interview.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

This seemed to take a hard 90-degree turn here ... did somebody say making up quotes and taking quotes from a broadcast are not totally different?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted