1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Lumberton NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

ATTN RECENT GRADS
    From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=951914

The Robesonian, a 138-year-old daily newspaper in Southeastern North Carolina, is looking for an energetic sports writer to join its newsroom. The newspaper, which recently won several NCPA awards, including one for general excellence, has a circulation of 13,000 daily and 16,000 on Sunday. A journalism degree is preferred, but not required. Experience is a wonderful substitute. The successful candidate should be able to produce clean copy, be willing to learn, and be able to aggressively work a beat. The job will entail mostly prep coverage, with some limited opportunities for ACC coverage. This is a writing position, however, some layout skills would be needed. Training would be provided. Wages and benefits are competitive. Send resume and clips to Donnie Douglas, editor, P.O. Box 1028, Lumberton, N.C. 28359. Or e-mail them to ddouglas@robesonian.com. Do not send as an attachment.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'm going to bluntly assume that the pay is somewhere between $20,000-$25,000?

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And you'd get to work for ...

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Limited opportunities means you footing the bill on your own time. So, yeah, maybe you could go on Saturdays or Sundays (during basketball). But what does that really get you?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. And Tarheel's post is be heeded, too.

6. Well, it could get you the chance to cover the ACC Tournament. That's a fantastic perk if it did.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Not likely - ACC Tourney comes during state championships in basketball and when spring sports is kicking into high gear.

The point of entry-level jobs is to do the grunt work, the work necessary to move up the chain. You do that by covering the hell out of high schools, by making sources and developing enterprise. You do not do that by showing up at the tournament you grew up watching, calling all your buddies from press row and asking if they can see you on camera.

8. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

This is from Donnie, the editor.

"Limited" opportunity means this: The sports reporter will have opportunities to cover ACC basketball, football, Panthers football, Bobcats basketball when local obligations — of the lack thereof — allow. We would have the reporter on the clock during the contest, we would pay mileage and other expenses. But we would not have the person on the clock during travel to and from the contest.
    If someone worked here two years, there is no reason they couldn't go to a couple or three ACC hoops games, maybe one or two football games (UNCP football does make that a bit more difficult), and take in a Panthers or Hornets game or two. This really comes down to, as Roy Williams likes to say, "want to." If the reporter wants to, it can happen.
    I would expect that these trips produce columns or features, not game stories.
    I see this as an opportunity for the sports reporter to build a portfolio to help with his/her next career step.

9. Who said anything about "calling your buddies from press row and asking if they can see you on camera"? Maybe you don't see covering the ACC Tournament as a chance to produce good stories if you get the opportunity, but I do. It would have absolutely nothing to do with being on camera, I don't give a damn about that.

You sound pretty bitter in that implication. Of course your main focus is going to be what you're assigned to cover. But there's nothing that says you can't cover a big event at an entry-level paper. It's a part of the job description, so there is at least the potential that it could happen.

For the record, on what Khary said, I imagine he meant the Bobcats because the Hornets now play in New Orleans. I was a bit surprised that there was no mention of the Hurricanes, though.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I've seen this newspaper. Pretty sure "biggest tomato" contests qualify as sports. I believe Lumberton is where Michael Jordan's father was killed, just to offer up a small window of sports relevance.

11. Back in the day I spent some time in Lumberton. There's worse towns in North Carolina, but this one has to rank right up there. Awful town full of awful experiences.

Draft saved Draft deleted