1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Lubbock (Texas) Avalanche-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by nck228, Jul 25, 2011.

1. nck228

nck228 Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1272116

Company: Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
    Position: Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 29, 2011
    Job ID: 1272116

Description:

SPORTS WRITER

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal is looking for a sports writer to join our award-winning staff. The position will handle Texas Tech sports as well as other college and high school assignments throughout the year. The top candidate can write great stories under deadline pressure, can find and write compelling feature and enterprise stories and grasps the Web…updating beat blogs online and comfortable working in multimedia. You must have daily newspaper experience (college is acceptable). If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, three references and six writing samples to Shelby Caballero, The Lubbock Avalanche Journal, 710 Avenue J, Lubbock TX 79401, or email shelby.caballero@lubbockonline.com. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

So, is Shelby the new SE? If not, who got the bump?

3. nck228

nck228 Member

I think she's the HR Director.

4. George Watson

George Watson New Member

I think I can shed some light on this one ...

I'm George Watson and I was promoted last week to Sports Editor here at the A-J. I've been on staff for about 14 years here, the last two as Assistant Sports Editor.
    I can't give just a whole lot of details on this one simply because there are some other staff shifts that are going to happen here in the next few weeks (plus we're trying to put out a couple of football tabs as well). I can tell you that the Texas Tech sports involved with this beat will either be covering Texas Tech basketball (men and women) or being our No. 2 writer on Texas Tech football. It depends on how we assign some other stuff here as to which one it will be, but either way you get to cover either Tommy Tuberville or Billy Gillispie, so there will be a challenge. The high school beats involve baseball and helping me out on high school football, which we cover roughly 60 some odd teams, plus picking up other coverage here and there.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have at the following email, but please send all resumes and clips through our HR person listed on the add.

Jorge

5. Anybody who needs somebody to vouce about working with/for George, feel free to PM me. The man is the salt of the earth and you will be hard-pressed to outwork him.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jorge is, by far, one of the best people to walk this planet. I'd take a bullet for him.

And he's just as good a journalist as he is a person.

7. George Watson

George Watson New Member

I can update you guys on this one.

First, sorry if I haven't had time to get back to everyone, but we have narrowed down to a few semifinalists. If you haven't been contacted, please don't take it personal. We're up on deadlines to put out our high school and Texas Tech special football sections, dealing with A&M bolting, Tech football practice every day, etc and doing it with only a skeleton crew. I just haven't had time, but I do appreciate all the applicants. It blew me away that we had more than 90 applications for this job.

Like I said, I've contacted a handful and hope to be doing phone interviews this next week, then going from there.

Again, if anybody had any questions, feel free to contact me.

Jorge

8. Who got hit on the slab for this?

Draft saved Draft deleted