1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Lowell (Mass.) Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 13, 2010.

1. sayyestomi

sayyestomi New Member

Same here as well, even after knowing someone who was able to recommend me and knew people there. I'm sure they were inundated with applications after WorkInSports/Indeed/etc. picked up the listing, though.

2. Journo13

Journo13 Member

It's somewhat of a small shop with only five guys. Once high school football dies down, they'll probably take a look at everything.

3. I applied about a week ago. Don't know how different the Massachusetts high school football schedule is from Pennsylvania, but I figured maybe I'd hear something once the regular season was done.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Massachusetts regular season doesn't end until Thanksgiving, then the playoffs are crammed into the next 10 days. So you may be waiting a while. (And the Sun also covers a number of New Hampshire schools, same timeline up there.)

5. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Plus, right on the heels of that, you have Winter preview season...

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

They're busy....all the more reason they might want a new hire to help out?

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

One plus is that the top editor at the paper is a former sports guy.

I always liked that.

8. bsugrad

bsugrad New Member

Anyone hear an update about this job?

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I'm guessing the new hire is Chaz Scoggins.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That is a joke, right?

11. Greg_Cameron

Greg_Cameron New Member

I called them over a week and a half ago to make sure that they had received my resume/cover letter. I spoke directly to the SE over there. He told me that they had received over 150 applications!

On the bright side, he confirmed that they did indeed receive my information!

12. Journo13

Journo13 Member

Yeah, no.

"Chaz Scoggins has worked for The Sun since 1969 and covered the Boston Red Sox since 1973. A member of the Boston Baseball Writers Association of America, Scoggins was national president of the BBWAA in 2000 and has served 14 terms as chairman of the Boston chapter of the BBWAA. He has also served as an official scorer at Fenway Park since 1978, scoring more than 1,500 games, including three World Series and three All-Star Games. He has authored three books on baseball, including “Bricks and Bats,” a history of minor-league baseball in Lowell.
    Scoggins has also covered the UMass Lowell ice hockey team since 1975 and won the Hockey East Media Award in 1996 for excellence in coverage of Division I hockey."

Draft saved Draft deleted