1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Lodi News-Sentinel (Lodi, Cali.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=949029

The Lodi News-Sentinel seeks a writer to handle game coverage, features and enterprisers. This job is ideal for someone who has a passion for sportswriting but the versatility to lay out a page, shoot a passable photo and intermittently cover general assignment news. We nurture fine writing skills and embrace in-depth reporting. The News-Sentinel is a family owned 16k daily located in a wine region 25 minutes south of Sacramento, near the Bay Area and Sierra. Competitive pay and benefits. Candidates should e-mail a resume and cover letter to Rich Hanner, editor, at richardh@lodinews.com.

Circulation is 18,000, I think, based on a quick Google search.
  2. JD

JD Member

I just applied. It is only about 30 minutes from me. Hope I get it.
  3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Good luck, JD. I found that papers really stick to hiring local people, which was frustrating when I was applying to smaller papers all over the country in my job search not long ago.
  4. JD

JD Member

Thank you for the wishes. I was let go from the Woodland Daily Democrat last January due to budget cuts, which really changed my look on journalism. I am only 20, and that hit me hard. I love sportswriting, and really, REALLY want this gig.
  5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Jay, did you find a good first gig?
  6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

Oh lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again...

sorry. back to the discussion 8)
  7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I wonder how many sports stories you get to do from the Playboy Mansion? ;)
  8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Plenty of foreclosed houses available, although you might have to provide your own floors and sinks.
Draft saved Draft deleted