1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Lewiston, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 5, 2008.

1. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

That knowledge comes in handy when looking for a second job.

2. thebigd

thebigd Member

Lester, what did u mean by small staff? It's my understanding they have a staff of 4 in sports which foor a 24,000 circ. paper isn't too shabby. Tell me more about the situationin a p.m. please because i did apply for this one

3. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

Lewiston has about 31,000 people and a Starbucks. It's at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers. Great flyfishing and rafting. The paper is privately owned, immune from Wall Street pressures, and one of the best papers its size anywhere.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is still true, but they were generously staffed for their size and did things most 25Ks don't do -- a reporter in Washington, D.C., a two-person editorial-page staff, etc. So while they didn't spend a lot on salaries, they spent a lot more than the minimum on the product overall and it showed. Sort of like Concord, N.H., and Anniston, Ala., in that top of the heap for under-30Ks.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

No longer the case.

6. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

How much does the paper travel with the teams it covers?

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

It doesn't with Idaho, maybe unless it it goes to Boise . Well I take hat back they go 9 miles for the Washington State game and 2 hours for the Gonzaga game

8. Lester Bangs

They rarely travel at all anymore.

9. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

I believe Lewiston drove over to Seattle for the Apple Cup last year.

Other than that, though, I don't think they cover anything but home games.

10. kingkroz1017

kingkroz1017 New Member

Anyone hear anything on this lately? Recieved an email from the ME stating that they were going to start sorting, but that was about 10 days ago.

And yes Tomas, I know, ... I'm hired.... now go away or I shall taunt you a second time... with coconuts.

11. Lester Bangs

Could be way wrong here, but I'd bet on an internal hire.

12. thebigd

thebigd Member

Lester the part-time guy isn't who you think it was

Draft saved Draft deleted