1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Lewiston, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=960174

The Lewiston Tribune, a family-owned, 24,000-circulation newspaper, offers an unusual opportunity for a reporter who wants to cover big-time sports while living in a rural area. Our sports writers cover Pac-10, WAC and NAIA teams, plus high schools in two states. Our community annually plays host to the NAIA baseball World Series. We need a talented writer who can turn game stories, features, columns and handle a desk shift, paginating with InDesign. We are located on the Washington/Idaho border, about two hours south of Spokane. Our region offers immediate access to a multitude of outdoor experiences including hiking, camping, white water sports, fishing and hunting. Housing prices are reasonable, the weather is mild and the crime rate low. We offer an employee stock ownership program and a solid benefits package. If you are interested in joining an experienced and dedicated newsroom staff, send resume, clips and references to: Paul Emerson, Managing Editor, Lewiston Tribune, P.O. Box 957, Lewiston, ID, 83501. E-mail to pemerson@lmtribune.com

Pay is $20k-25k

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They've never paid especially well, but they play bigger than their size. I talked to Paul Emerson about a city editor job in the early 1990s and he was as straight a shooter as I've encountered in this business. He also was the paper's SE a long time ago. So, as much as someone who hasn't actually worked there can say so, I'd say that at least you'd be working for decent folks. I have not seen the paper in a very long time, but when I did a critique for them, I thought it looked and read more like a 70K than a 25K paper.

3. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Is this position for a particular beat?

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

Doubtful. They cover Washington State, University of Idaho and Lewis & Clark

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's Lewis-Clark State. Lewis & Clark is another school entirely, and it's in Portland, Ore.

Anyway, said NAIA school is a baseball powerhouse that has produced some really great players, many of whom couldn't cut it academically at Div. I schools.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Including Marvin Bernard and Keith Foulke.

7. sportschick

And Beau Mills who set an NAIA home run record in 2007 and was drafted in the first round by the Indians. Couldn't hack it academically at Fresno State. Great, great college player though.

8. jren3333

jren3333 New Member

Does anybody know anything about the area? Is there at least a Super Target?

9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Looks like Wal-Mart (non-Super) is the only megastore in town.

[​IMG]

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lewiston is a regional center, with an operating airport and regular flights to Seattle, at least. I'm sure it has a Wal-Mart, if not, there's one up the road in Moscow.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://www.lcairport.net/Flights.asp

12. sportschick

Welcome to the rural West, folks. There isn't a Target on every corner. There wasn't one in Kalispell when I started, although there is now, and I'm pretty sure there are more people in that area than in Lewiston.

Draft saved Draft deleted