1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Las Vegas Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zagsfan83, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

Posted Saturday on JJobs.

---------------------------------

The Las Vegas Sun is looking for a beat reporter for its award-winning coverage of UNLV athletics (LasVegasSun.com/rebels). The successful candidate will be an aggressive reporter and a quick, graceful, intuitive writer who can set up the importance and nuances of a coming game with smart advance stories, pump out game coverage on Twitter and a live blog, come back with an incisive post-game analysis — and, during the week, share insights gleaned from the practice court, locker room and coach’s office. You’ll have your own blog, your Twitter feed will be featured on our site and you’ll quickly learn about the Rebel fans’ passion for their team. The job starts immediately and will involve travel — the Rebels play at Hawaii in December.

We offer competitive salary and a benefits package to include: medical, dental, vision, 401K, and a generous PTO plan. Resumes and portfolios can be e-mailed to rebecca@lasvegassun.com or mailed to Rebecca Clifford-Cruz, Greenspun Media Group, 2360 Corporate Circle, 3rd Floor, Henderson, NV 89074. No phone calls, please. Greenspun Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. JPsT

JPsT Member

What's the story here? Ryan Greene did the football game yesterday, and I'd be surprised if he stopped doing hoops. Is he on the move?

3. This is obviously an intriguing beat but the perception of the paper is that it's an absolute train wreck.

4. ntmuhusual account

ntmuhusual account New Member

Well, the perception is correct.

It is an absolute train wreck.

Likely to be completely out of business sooner rather than later.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Always tough in a two-paper town, especially one as small as Vegas. That being said, covering the MWC for four years, I always thought the Sun did a good job when it comes to UNLV.

6. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Is this a gannett shop?

7. Matt Stephens

Don't believe so. Posting says Greenspun Media Group.

8. ll info

ll info New Member

You would recognize my regular posting name but I don't want to out myself.

In Vegas, the view of this paper is ... well, it's tough to say because the vast majority of people don't know it exists. If anything, they think it went under a few years ago. And for all intents and purposes, it did, although I guess it's hanging on as a ghostly shell of its former self.

Those who know it exists view it with ridicule, contempt and other words that mean the opposite of respect.

(Flame away, don't listen to me, whatever. But if anyone takes this job they'll find this is all true.)

Could say a lot more, but I suppose "Stay far, far away" about covers it.

9. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Ryan has done a hell of a job on UNLV. He tweeted today that he's moving on and writing for a new site, HeyReb.com. Here's his original tweet announcing his departure... https://twitter.com/#!/ryanmgreene/status/133720350470053888

10. sjsilver

sjsilver New Member

I worked for the Sun from Fall 2008 to Winter 2009 when the mass layoffs hit. Despite being let go, we had a hell of a team doing amazing work. There are still some great journalists there, but yes, most people have left. Ryan is heading to Wendoh Media's new operation, where a lot of my former colleagues now work. Big coup for them.

11. Matt Stephens

I'll be interested to see a local magazine's beat coverage on the team.

12. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Looks like this paper has been whittled down to an insert in the rival daily

Draft saved Draft deleted