1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, LaGrange Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RespectMyAuthority, Jun 23, 2007.

1. TheEck

TheEck New Member

I don't know anything about the Mount Airy, N.C. situation. The only person I've talked to with the new company is the publisher, and she's made it clear she'll stay out of the news room's business. I'd never heard of this company before it bought us, and I've never met anyone who has worked for the company, so I can't speak with any authority on what kind of organization it is. I just don't see things changing for my department at all. As long as I get my TPS reports done on time, I think everything will be fine.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

I worked for a PM daily my first job out of college which was owned by Heartland. Overall, it seemed like a good company and working there was a good experience...but when you are fresh out of school, you are just happy at times to just have a job to begin with.

As for working with PM papers...although it can be a change getting used to getting up to be at work at 6 am, the plus is that you can rest up during the day after your shift in the morning.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Eck, good points. I operate in similar fashion, telling the writer to come in late if he's covering a game at night. Naturally, that also depends on the size of the section. When I'm covering a game at night, I tend to go on in to the newsroom and bang out the story, get it out of the way. Good luck with the ownership change. Heartland does have a reputation of being cheap.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You know, if we could those in color, that'd be greaaaaaat

Draft saved Draft deleted