1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer- La Crosse, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1548464

Company: River Valley Newspapers
    Position:
    Writer
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    January 9, 2014
    Job ID: 1548464

Description:

Sports Writer

The River Valley Newspaper Group, which includes the La Crosse Tribune (32,000 circ.) and Winona Daily News (10,000 circ.), as well as several weekly newspapers, has an opening for a talented and energetic sports writer who is well-versed in print, online and social media. This general assignment, entry-level position, which is based out of La Crosse, Wis., may cover a high school event one day and a college event the next in either La Crosse or Winona, Minn., which is the home of NCAA Division II Winona State University. We also cover a Northwoods league team in the La Crosse Loggers, a junior hockey league team in the Coulee Region Chill.

Strong writing skills as well as the ability to juggle a number of things, including some copy editing, is desired. With a strong emphasis placed on our online sites, which includes our InsidePreps.com, the ability to write, post to and help maintain our sites is a must.

The deadline to apply is Friday, December 27, 2013.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Even though it's an entry-level position, this is tempting because La Crosse is my hometown.

3. FWIW, I believe River Valley Newspaper Group is owned by Lee Enterprises.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It is. Jeff Brown is a good guy to work for.

5. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

The only thing that keeps me from applying to this position and others in the region is - I've lived in Arizona for nearly 10 years now and just can't see myself living in a place that gets so cold. Otherwise, they'd have my resume and clips pretty quick.

6. John Casper Jr.

John Casper Jr. New Member

If anyone has any questions, I'll do the best I can to answer them. I'm currently on the staff here in La Crosse/Winona.

And NancyLou, it's absolutely freezing here right now. But the summers make up for it. Plus, no scorpions.

7. A little curious why Winona State is the only college/university listed when you've also got UW-La Crosse (D3), Viterbo (NAIA) and St. Mary's (D3) in your coverage area, John.

8. John Casper Jr.

John Casper Jr. New Member

The ad doesn't mention every single thing we cover ... just gave an example. And Winona State, one of the top DII men's basketball programs just about every year, is very popular in Winona so we cover them a little more than the other schools.

9. RonClements

D-III football in Wisconsin is very good with UW-La Crosse winning national championships in 1992 and 1995 and UW-Whitewater's recent dominance with four national titles. Teams like Oshkosh and Platteville are also respectable programs.

10. Heard this position will not be filled.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The answer is:

The LaCrosse Tribune, which is owned by this chain that just lost money in the fourth quarter, will not be filling an open sports job.

Question: "What is Lee Enterprises?"

Be interested to see if more belt tightening takes place at other Lee papers.

12. RonClements

Hey, it's all good as long as Mary Junck receives another six-figure bonus, because that's what matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted