1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Kokomo, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 21, 2009.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I've done both. It takes a day and a half both ways.

Next thing I'm going to try is to plug the neighboring county roads into my GPS and see if that works.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The people at the paper are fine. As was noted, Kitchell, by all accounts, is a good dude.

Town sucks, is all.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dave Kitchell is indeed very well respected.

I'd tred lightly on the town. I can think of no other city in Indiana that is more tied to the fortunes of the auto industry than Kokomo, there's several large Chrysler and Delphi plants there that were (are?) idled for a long period of time earlier this year.

Sports-wise, they get down to Indy once in a while to do some coverage, but it's mostly high schools.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Anderson is probably more tied to the auto industry than Kokomo, but it has been absolutely killed for the last decade (Delphi pulled out of there more quickly), and its CNHI paper has been significantly pared back.

As noted, it's almost all preps (they tend to pool their Indy sports coverage, and, at least before the recent round of cutbacks, often used the Anderson paper coverage for the Colts & IMS, don't usually bother with the Pacers). However, the area is very preps-crazy -- Kokomo High plays basketball in a 7,000-seat gym, and probably draws some of the better crowds in the North Central Conference. Great girls basketball at Kokomo High. There are usually some decent teams elsewhere in the coverage area (Tipton boys hoops, Cass football).

Draft saved Draft deleted