1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Killeen, Tx

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

2. Not interested in the job at all, but seriously ...

Could just one of you be a grown-up and post what the problems are with this job instead of acting like a junior-high girl who wants to spread gossip but then doesn't share any of the details?

3. From the thread linked above. If you want my opinion (take it for what it's worth, I'm still a newbie about two months into my first job), be very, very careful here. I got a call for them recently about this opening (I definitely don't meet that two years of experience quota), and as much as I'd love to get back home towards Austin I'm happy with my current gig and I'd heard these horror stories so I didn't give it a second thought. With anything on this board, I guess, take all of this with a grain of salt but be sure to ask around to make sure you're not getting into a giant clusterfuck.

Also, the above postings are about a year old I think.

4. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

Just read the last thread from this paper ... yikes. With Texas high school football as big as it is, you think people would just jump on the chance. But if it means working at a place like that, no thank you.

And although I do agree with SportsHack to an extent about people not giving details, I can understand why. On the last thread, Cactushead seemed liked he gradually lost his marbles because of the details of the job. No one wants to be THAT guy.

And thanks goplayintramurals for the details.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No, the perfect location would be actually living in one of the aforementioned major Texas cities.

6. wild_will

wild_will New Member

So it sounds like they won't be getting any inquiries from people who travel this site.

7. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Now you guys didn't REALLY think I'd leave this one alone, did ya?
    Nothing has changed in Killeen to make it worth considering ... trust me.
    To anyone thinking about this job, here's the truth about what you'll be up against:
    1. Very low pay -- There are weeklys and bi-weeklys which pay more than this joint. In fact, there are Walmart greeters who have more buying power than you will, if you take this gig.
    2. Very little respect -- The sports staff there is forced to do its own page design (the news side doesn't), and it is also forced to put out a ridiculous subvarsity/junior high section twice a week (because the business manager likes it). Photographers and newside people can put in for overtime, but if someone from sports cards more than 40 hours, they're in trouble. Even when sports is short-staffed, overtime is strongly discouraged, and with all the BS work they have, overtime is almost impossible to avoid.
    3. The business manager treats the employees like they're disposable. He is the prototypical bad boss --A cheap, control-freak, A-hole deluxe, who thinks nothing of uprooting lives. He is the primary reason for the mass exodus, and worse, he doesn't care. He's even been heard bragging about how he puts people in a position to "fire themselves," once they're on his shitlist.

The fact that the sports department there has lost seven people in under two years should speak for itself. But the fact that more than 20 news-side people have ditched the place in the last 24 months should scare away anyone with a lick of sense, or talent.
    The Business Manager is the problem ... not the town, or the other employees. Killeen is actually a nice little town, and if it weren't for the business manager, I'd recommend it as a first job for a recent college grad. But as long as the current BM is there, baby, avoid this place like the plague. You'll regret going there, and you'll be in a big hurry to get out.

If, out of desparation, you're willing to go there anyway, don't let this guy lowball you.
    Demand at least 24K a year (yeah, it's that cheap), and quiz the Business Manager (not the Managing Editor) about why so many people have quit recently.
    You're not going to get the 24K, and you won't get a straight answer about people quitting.
    At that moment, you'll realize you made a mistake going there for the interview, and save yourself two years of poverty.

There it is ... don't say you haven't been warned.

Draft saved Draft deleted