1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Orange Hat Bobcat, May 31, 2006.

1. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Yeah Joe, let me vent.
    And yes, I am irked (as if that wasn't obvious).
    If you're tired of hearing the truth about Killeen, then block the messages that come from me.
    Sounds to me like you have some sort of sentimental attachment to Killeen. Perhaps you still work there, or once did. Or perhaps you're friends with the "rodent."
    If that's the case, I apologize if you're offended.
    I assure you, my intention isn't to offend the friends of those who are still working there, or to insult the current employees.
    There are still good people there, and it isn't their fault that the company is being run in such a crappy fashion.
    As for my identity, that's irrelevant (unless you're taking this stuff personally). As far as I'm concerned, the only legitimate question to ask of me is whether I'm telling the truth or not.
    If I were lying, that would be one thing. But I'm not.
    Yes, I have contacts inside the company who give me information (although that number continues to dwindle with all the departures). And yes, I'll continue to give updates on this sewer (when possible), because this is a truth that people should be warned about.
    Sorry, Joe, you'll just have to block my posts, I guess.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'm not offended. I don't work there, again I think it's a hell hole, and feel sorry for any sap that goes there. And I've never said that any of the stuff you've said about the place is untrue...it isn't as best I can tell.
    I'm just saying you've vented...you have a personel vendetta against them, they suck, don't go there. Yeah, yeah, yeah we get it already. It's been pointed out to us ad nauseam.

Giving updates is one thing, chiming in and telling us what a piece of crap it is everytime the Managing editor goes to take a piss is entirely different, and that's what you are sounding like.

3. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Then by all means, block me, and you won't lose any more sleep over it.
    But just to piss you off, here's the 14 again:

1. Managing Editor fired (the guy who helped them win AA Newspaper of the Year).
    2. Copy editor quits and goes to South Texas.
    3. Assistant Managing Editor quits without notice and walks out.
    4. Copy editor quits without notice and walks out.
    5. Sportswriter quits without notice and walks out.
    6. Agate clerk fired.
    7. Sportswriter resigns to become SID at California JC and is subsequently fired before his two weeks are up.
    8. Photo Editor quits without notice and walks out.
    9. Business reporter quits, goes to Denton.
    10. Education reporter quits before even finding another job.
    11. Copy Editor quits, goes to El Paso.
    12. Sportswriter quits, goes to Abilene.
    13. Features editor quits, goes to Abilene.
    14. Sportswriter quits, goes to California paper.
    ALMOST 15: The idiots accidentally posted the sports editor's job on the Internet, even though he hadn't been fired, or hadn't resigned. He was understandably ticked about it, and resigned the next day. But after they posted a company-wide apology stating that the ad was supposed to be for "Assistant Sports Editor," he decided to stay. What was odd, is that they never reposted the ad with a correction for "Assistant Sports Editor," which shows you how honest they are.

4. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Wow.....no one has bashed Killeen since September?????
    Would you believe they actually peeked under a rock and found some people who didn't know they were marching into journalistic purgatory? But, from what I understand, they had a heckuva time filling their spots...it took months, actually.
    The list of copy-side employee departures for 2006 finally reached 17 late last year. I challenge you to find one paper in the country which managed to run off that much talent.
    Last year they won Texas Newspaper of the Year in their class and three of their writers took home AP awards. Quick prediction: This year, they'll win two things .... jack and shit.
    Sorry Schmoe...had to give the update.
    Actually...I'm not sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted