1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Orange Hat Bobcat, May 31, 2006.

1. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

I've been keeping a very close eye on this zoo, and here's the latest: They've just lost ANOTHER sportswriter within the last week, which makes three who have quit on them in the last three months. Toss in the dude they fired, and they're down four since the first of the year.
    That ain't the half of it.
    They've lost 5-6 more people from the news side from a combination of firings, resignations and walkouts since Christmas.
    For you potential suckers who are still considering this turd tank, here's the bottom line: This company will lie to you, then pay you dirt as compensation.
    Anyone considering this outfit should make sure their moving expenses will be paid for up front, and don't let them screw you out of the full price of your airline ticket when coming in for an interview.
    Also, find out what other papers of a similar size are paying, average it, then demand it from the Killeen paper. Otherwise, you may as well bend over and look for the soap right now.
    If you're struggling to believe all this, do the math. Ten friggin' people don't quit the editorial side of a paper in six months unless something is totally F'd up. If I were interviewing there, I'd ask them about all the people who have quit recently, then I'd ask to speak with some of the remaining writers about it (if there are any).
    Here's an even better thing to do: Take a job elsewhere.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Printdust, I have to agree with you.

3. Is this Killeen or Galveston? They both sound the same with how people are scurrying the deck of a sinking ship and how the management will chop your hands off and then ask you to clap 10 minutes later.

That sucks since there is some good preps to cover in that area.

BTW, has anyone heard if the Galveston job has been filled?

4. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Just when I thought this paper had scraped the bottom of the cesspool, it has proven that there are even deeper layers of sediment which have yet to be explored.
        From what I've gathered, its management has elected NOT to fill the three vacancies it recently advertised.  Instead, it is now planning on using stringers to fill the openings.   So, for those of you who actually applied there and received a first call, but not a second, there's your explanation.
       I hate to say I told you so, but ....I TOLD YOU SO. 
       This is the cheapest outfit on the face of the earth.  It's circulation is dwindling, and to compensate, its management continually finds new ways to spend less, rather than investing in the business.  These people don't believe that quality writing equates to quality circulation.  As a consequence, they're willing to hire people right off the street as a cost-saving measure, because they're journalistically clueless.
       Let's not forget, this was the AP's Class AA Newspaper of the Year in 2005.  Since then, it has fired its ME (because he had the audacity to implement his ideas) and has now seen 11 people quit on the copy side, including two of its three award-winning writers.  If the third award-winner stays for more than another month, I'll be amazed.
       For those of you who had your heart set going there, here's something to keep an eye on: When this paper's management finally realizes that it needs to fill it's vacancies, you'll see the ad posted again.  This will occur when the new ME tests his math skills for the first time. 
       Right now, they have four writers, which includes the sports editor and no permanent desk man.  But, they have five primary beats plus desk responsiblities, and a new in-house publication in Harker Heights which will require a sportswriter.   Four people won't cut it, and stringers won't be any help on the desk.
       So, right around football season, when they finally realize they're shorthanded, the opportunity to be employed in paradise will again present itself, so fear not. :p
       Mark that down.  Within three months, they'll be advertising again -- lest they want to slip deeper into the muck.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

From what I've heard, the most recent sportswriter to leave Killeen jumped to another sinking ship in West Texas.

6. healingman

healingman Guest

Speaking as one of those walkouts a few months ago, I can guarantee the management structure there is completely incompetent. I hate to even say that ... but it isn't necessarily the newsroom people in and of itself. There are some good people who work there ... both in Sports and News. Yet the higher-ups are clueless. They have an excellent, top-notch, state-of-the-art press ... yet they have zero clue on how to really show their appreciation of people for jobs well done. I worked with the ME that was fired. He had his own ideas, sure. But I learned later on that they don't really want someone with their ideas to come in there and manage. It is a job that, well, calls for someone to just go "yessir" and "no sir" and that's sad.

So what I am saying ... in my last comment on this topic ... is that there are good people in the newsroom. They bust their butts to do as good a job as possible. It is not their faults.

The fault lies right with the ownership and those in the owner's inner circle.

Frank Mayborn is rolling over in his grave.

7. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Well said, Healingman. You hit the nail on the head.
    Unfortunately, most of the "Good People" you apparently worked with, have moved on to greener pastures.
    The handful of talented people that are left will be gone soon -- replaced by Manny, Moe and Jack to save money.

8. anonymousbob

anonymousbob New Member

Killeen has great preps, but I worked in South Tex for 2 years a couple of years ago and they always had an opening. This is a position I would avoid at all costs. Take it from someone who has been desperate before and took a similar position. You end up with only regret and dissapointment at the end of each day's toil.

9. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

That's too bad about how Killeen has fallen. The community college I cover was down there in Copperas Cove (other side of Fort Hood) and it looked like they had things put together. I and the other sports writer in my town, he since is leaving for a paper in Oklahoma, actually thought of sending our resumes down together. Glad we didn't do that considering all that is going on down there.

Do you think Killeen, Copperas Cove and the other schools down there are going to stick with their advertising at the paper if this keeps up?

10. zman82

zman82 Member

considering the DMN is about to layoff a few more people and the waco trib doesn't really extend their coverage that far, i don't know who else they would turn to for daily coverage. temple? killeen might be the best they get.

11. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

I just received word that Killeen has just lost its FOURTH sportswriter in five months, so those of you who applied there may be getting phone calls after all.
    They haven't posted the job on the standard boards yet, so they may just call the people who applied earlier.
    If they do call you, remember not to let them screw you out of the full price of your air fare. They'll also try to pay you low 20's, as in VERY LOW 20's (if you're lucky).
    I've finally gotten the true lowdown on all the people who have left there this year. This is 100% accurate.
    Get a load of this:

1. Managing Editor fired (the guy who helped them win AA Newspaper of the Year).
    2. Copy editor quits and goes to South Texas.
    3. Assistant Managing Editor quits without notice and walks out.
    4. Copy editor quits without notice and walks out.
    5. Sportswriter quits without notice and walks out.
    6. Agate clerk fired.
    7. Sportswriter resigns to become SID at California JC and is subsequently fired before his two weeks are up.
    8. Photo Editor quits without notice and walks out.
    9. Business reporter quits, goes to Denton.
    10. Education reporter quits before even finding another job.
    11. Copy Editor quits, goes to El Paso.
    12. Sportswriter quits, goes to Abilene.
    13. Features editor quits, goes to Abilene.
    14. Sportswriter quits, goes to California paper.
    ALMOST 15: The idiots accidentally posted the sports editor's job on the Internet, even though he hadn't been fired, or hadn't resigned. He was understandably ticked about it, and resigned the next day. But after they posted a company-wide apology stating that the ad was supposed to be for "Assistant Sports Editor," he decided to stay. What was odd, is that they never reposted the ad with a correction for "Assistant Sports Editor," which shows you how honest they are.

My my....that's quite a year they're having, and the saga only continues.
    Before you decide to accept a job there, I'd ask myself how this can possibly happen if the employees are happy.
    Remember: If you get called by these people, ask the GENERAL MANAGER about the mass departure, not the new Managing Editor. It is the General Manager who is the cause of the huge exodus, and it is he that you need to question about everyone quitting so suddenly. Don't bother with the "yes" man he's brought in, that guy won't tell you anything.
    Ask to speak to the General Manager and hold his feet to the fire, or you'll regret it later.

12. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

it all goes along with the way things are in Killeen. When I was stationed their (Ft. Hood) during the early 1980s the town and the area was a pit. Outside the east gate of the fort you've got your choice of pawn shops, pizza places and just a few blocks down the street the ladies of the evening.
    If you're into having a drink after work, forget it, unless you want to pay to sit in some of the dingy dives that surround the area. And pay for the priviledge. Killen used to be in a dry county and the closest place to buy anything outside of beer was in Gatesville.
    I don't know if the laws have changed since the 25 years have gone by, but we had a saying that if the good lord gave the world an enema they would put the hose in Ft. Hood and it would come out in Killeen.
    But, then I could be wrong, but still I would think long and hard about taking any job in a military base town. Remember, the post is the largest in the country and they depend heavily on it for the economy in Killeen, Copperas Cove and the surrounding communities, even though Killeen is the main town.
    But, that's just a word from a person who thought the post was really crappy as well. And now with the war going on it might make for an even more ****ed up place.
    Just some food for thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted