1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Orange Hat Bobcat, May 31, 2006.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

anyone have a clue on salary range for this? just wondering since i'm in the market to make a hire in sports (and two other reporter positions in editorial as well) at a smaller daily located in north texas.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Don't know much about the paper, but Killeen is a nice-enough town. I have an uncle who was stationed there and continues to live there after retiring from the military. Obiviously, with Fort Hood nearby, there's a lot of military personnell.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

If you're going to match, or come near to Killeen's pay, then the salary is about $75K, and PM me, I'm interested in your openeing :D

Otherwise, i think it's low to mid 20s...mainly low.

And again, while I don't recommend this job, their is potential here to have some fun beats, so long as they still cover them. They used to cover UMHB, Round Rock Express, and even some limited Baylor/UT action along with their 5 main high schools.
    Here's what I will say: Yes we all have opinions, and ultimately, the decision is yours. Go in to the interviews, and offer with an open mind BUT...ask them the tough questions...make them tell you exactly what happened to the last guys, why they have so many openings, and are things stable. Tell them what you've heard, and see how they respond. If you don't know what is happening, it could be your position they advertise for next before you know it.

Good luck.

4. zman82

zman82 Member

sounds like pretty sound advice

5. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Does anyone know if they replaced the ME they canned? That might lend some stability to an obviously bad situation.
    From what I understand, most of the crap hit the fan after they fired the last one. So it may be wise to make sure they've got a new one in place before venturing into purgatory.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Small Update-
    Still can't recommend this place, but if you need a job, The staff is down to 3 (maybe 4). And they usually carry 6-7. Two of the three are new hires.
    Haven't seen them put up a new ad, but they may still be sorting through resumes, and figuring out who is still on board.

Anyway, if you want a new gig, this may be a chance for you.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Almost got killed in Killeen once.

And no, I was not at the Luby's!

8. zman82

zman82 Member

i passed straight outta school and from the sounds of it all others should pass again.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Look, the TWITS are willing to accept a motherfuckin high school grad. Does that not tell you anything about the regard and respect in this shiteating business?

10. JME

JME Member

Whats got you all fired up?

11. printdust

printdust New Member

I'm sick and tired of company language bullshit. Ain't but one in 10 of the worthashit jobs on this board that's going to be filled by some lucky fuck on the outside. I've seen enough, heard enough...this industry is not only fucked, it is gang-raped.

12. JME

JME Member

I hear you. I'm languishing.

Draft saved Draft deleted