1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer- Kailua-Kona, HI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1558432

Company: West Hawaii Today
    Position:
    Seeking talented sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $40,000 to $45,000
    Ad Expires:
    February 21, 2014
    Job ID: 1558432

Description:

West Hawaii Today, a 10,000-circulation daily newspaper on the Big Island of Hawaii, has an immediate opening for a talented sports writer with a broad set of skills.

Our ideal candidate is a knowledgeable, creative sports reporter with strong attention to detail and the ability to look beyond the box scores. Although this is primarily a writing/reporting job, this person also must be able to design, paginate and edit news pages when needed.

Requirements: at least two years of full-time sports reporting experience at a daily newspaper; ability to use social media and update websites; design and/or paginate sports pages using InDesign; moderate photography skills.

West Hawaii Today's biggest event is the Ford Ironman World Championship, but most of the paper's hyper-local coverage focuses on prep sports at island high schools.

This is a full-time hourly position with a competitive salary, good benefits and a good working environment in Hawaii. Candidates should be able to move within three or four weeks upon hire. Two-year commitment required.

Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume, clips and references to Stephens Media sports director Matt Gerhart, mgerhart@stephensmedia.com. No calls, please.

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Once upon a time ago... would have been all over this.

3. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Agreed. I saw clips from a Gabriel Iglesias DVD filmed in Hawaii and it. I want to go do that pancake challenge.

4. mcleme9

mcleme9 New Member

What's wrong with this job now now?

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

The job is probably still fine, but sportswriters get older.
    Once you've kind of settled, married, or have a relationship, moving to Hawaii is just not as feasible as it would be for a 21-year-old fresh out of college with no relationship, etc...
    Moving to Hawaii may sound fun, but it aint exactly cheap either. You have to figure a way to transport your car, and belongings, then find decent reasonable housing.
    Don't get me wrong, Hawai'i has plenty of perks, but people tend to forget how isolated you are on the islands. Going home for the holidays is a pain, etc...And while living near the beach sounds fun, it can get old as well.
    Just know what you are getting into before you consider it.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup. From what I've seen and been told, papers in Hawaii tend to be made up of lifers and people who are there only a few years. It takes a certain kind of person to live in one of the most isolated spots on the planet. Moving to Hawaii can be done affordably -- hint: leave the vast majority of your stuff on the mainland -- but it's not something someone should do on a whim.

This isn't to talk anyone out of applying as Kona is a fine place to live (if a bit expensive) and there are good people at the paper. Just be sure to go into the process with an open mind and without any preconceived notions about Hawaii and its culture.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Last time I looked, if you have pets and move to Hawaii, they must be quarantined for a month or two.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Big Island is also more isolated than Maui or Oahu. Not near as much to do.

9. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

This. Comes a point in life that running off to an island for two years is untenable.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I spent my honeymoon over there. I know its beauty. And the strings that would have to be unraveled to get over there would be mind-shaking.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That depends on the island. Some are better than others.

12. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

I figure if I ever had a chance to get a job like that I'd sell or dump almost everything I have except the essentials or must-keep things.
    To me, the idea of living in Hawaii is exciting. The idea of working there would be a challenge, but one I'd jump at without any hesitation.

Draft saved Draft deleted