1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Joplin Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lance Ogden, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Lance Ogden

Lance Ogden New Member

Guys, I thought I'd give you first crack at this one before it goes on JJ.com. As it says below, we're looking to move quickly on this. Also, let me emphasize I'm looking for someone who can handle the hard news end of the position, but I also want a person who can have fun with their work and has the ability to entertain readers. Salary depends on experience.

The Joplin Globe, a 30,000 daily circulation (37k Sunday), 7-day publication, has an immediate opening for a sports writer. The job is open because the person who last held the position was hired to take on a Division I baseball beat. The successful candidate will prove he or she can write informative, entertaining, hard-hitting pieces and has the ability to go beyond the scope of “gee-whiz” journalism. The Globe is converting to a universal desk on Aug. 16, so the person who’s hired for the position will perform minimal design work. Joplin is home to D-II Missouri Southern State University. Pittsburg (Kan.) State University also is in our coverage area. With the prep football season looming, we are looking to fill this position ASAP. Send resumes, cover letter, references and clips — no more than one game story — to Executive Sports Editor Lance Ogden at logden@joplinglobe.com or to P.O. Box 7, Joplin, Mo. 64801.
    Joplin is located in the southwest corner of Missouri and has a “metro area” of 160,000.

2. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Just curious ... anyone know who left and for where?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A full-time Division I baseball beat? I don't know if I've ever heard of that.

4. hawk

hawk Guest

Sounds like the guy from Joplin moved south to cover Arkansas Baseball. There was a job posting a couple of weeks ago for it

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

So who was the guy?

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

That's what I've heard.

And that's a good gig at a good paper.

Which probably means this gig could be parlayed into good things by the right person with the right approach.

7. Slash

Slash Member

Im not sure of the guy’s name, but he was hired by the Morning News of Northwest Arkansas to cover preps and Arkansas baseball.

8. Lance Ogden

Lance Ogden New Member

Hey guys. Ryan Malashock is the gentleman's name who took the gig in Springdale.

Ryan will do good work there and they're lucky to get him.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Does this newspaper embrace the CNHI principles?

10. ChicoTheMan

ChicoTheMan Member

Approach this one with your eyes wide open ...

In the last 2-3 years, they've had a good staff decimated, mostly because of internal garbage. They've fired a sports editor, moved a sportswriter to news (not his idea), had a talented sportswriter leave for a pseudo-PR job, and apparently have their current dean of sportswriters (a preps guy who has been there forever and can do it all) on suspension.

No, I'm none of the people included above, but am close enough to the situation to have heard from virtually all of them that working for this SE (and the bosses above him) is a nightmare.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

which makes me wonder, what do you do when your SE really sucks, yet you love your job?

12. Lance Ogden

Lance Ogden New Member

Well thank you very much Chico. I've been at the Globe for four months, and I'm already a nightmare ... and you haven't even had the opportunity to introduce yourself. Nice to meet you.

I'll take it for granted you won't be applying for the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted