1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Jonesboro (Ark.) Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I know someone who has been there for an interview. Met the sports staff, was impressed by them. Simultaneously, he was not impressed by the news staff, a bunch of bickering, jealous, buy them for what they're worth and sell them for what they think they're worth types. Of course, what newsroom isn't, right?

2. bdh02

bdh02 Member

Turbeville is an excellent guy to work for. As far as the area being a dry country, it's as wet as you make it. Jonesboro is a rapidly growing city, and as mentioned early, covering Jonesboro High is probably the No. 2 beat at the paper behind Arkansas State. When JHS plays, you're the the man, and your story is the main thing in the paper.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I covered an NBA exhibition game there about half a lifetime ago. I can't remember what hotel we were in, but it had a bar called the Mallard Club, which basically was a full bar -- but called a club for liquor law purposes. Your room key was your membership card.

4. arkansastraveler

arkansastraveler New Member

Exactly. It's as wet as you want it to be.
    And to clarify, the drive to the liquor store is between 15 and 30 minutes. It's that long in some towns that are wet, so it's not like you're not driving an hour out of your way for booze.
    Unless it's Sunday. Then you gotta go to Missouri and it's fine package stores.
    Otherwise, you're set.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I know it's a little over an hour away from Memphis. How far from St. Louis and Kansas City?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

red, http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

hugs, tomas

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Probably three hours to STL. But watch out for those Missouri state troopers. They are sneaky bastards.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, they just hate texans.

9. RedSmithClone

Well down there I'm sure they would really hate one of those uppity Massachusetts boys.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

red?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You could say that for the other 49 states' troopers.

12. RedSmithClone

So this is a 7 or 8 on the go for it scale (1-10)?

Draft saved Draft deleted