1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Jonesboro (Ark.) Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

The Jonesboro Sun in Jonesboro, Arkansas has a Sports Writer opening as of Jan. 21, 2008. All interested candidates need to respond by Feb. 21, 2008, although the time deadline could be extended.

This is a full-time sports writer position, and we anticipate the person hired will have a regular beat primarily consisting of high school sports, most likely covering Jonesboro High School, which is a Class 6A school and one of the larger schools in the state. This is one of the primary sports beats in our sports section and requires a writers full attention, time and effort. The Sun's circulation area covers 11 counties in Northeast Arkansas, and this position will also be asked on occasion to cover or help with coverage of other schools within the area. The person hired must work a variable schedule, mostly at night and frequently on weekends, to cover games and other sporting events. He/she must also have a strong understanding of many sports, especially football, basketball, baseball and track. Some editing duties may be included but will not be the emphasis of this position.

Minimum requirements for this position is a bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism. Daily newspaper experience is preferred. Photo skills and the ability to use Quark and InDesign would also be helpful.

Please send resume to:

Kevin Turbeville, Sports Editor
    The Jonesboro Sun
    P.O. Box 1249
    Jonesboro, AR 72403

The Sun has a daily audited circulation of 22,200 and Sunday circulation of 25,500. We publish seven days a week each morning.

Jonesboro is a thriving city of about 55,000 in Northeast Arkansas and is the home of Arkansas State University, which has a main campus enrollment of about 10,000. There will be opportunities to cover Arkansas State with this position depending on scheduling along with the employee's background and experience level.

The Sun is a member of Paxton Media Group, Inc. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin or disability.

2. Covering one high school? I've heard of the Valdosta paper doing it with Valdosta High, but it's got to get old after a while. But, hey, a job's a job.

3. arkansastraveler

arkansastraveler New Member

Here's a copy of what I wrote the last time this shop had an opening. My sentiments then pretty much stand now. Great people in the sports department.

I suspect the right person would get an opportunity to do some ASU coverage.

Fortunately for you, this would be a great springboard to the next gig. Unfortunately for the Sun, it's a great springboard to the next gig.

4. If you're under the impression this job only revolves around the one high school beat, you have misunderstood the position. The Sun covers up to 40 area high schools in basketball and more than 20 during football season. There are four high school teams in Jonesboro alone, and The Sun gives adequate coverage to them all. While JHS may be the main beat (meaning you will follow the team on its game days), there are a lot of other opportunities here. You will also have the opportunity to cover a variety of ASU sports and even write sidebars during football or basketball season. Yes, it's just a Sun Belt team. But hey, that's Division I. Not a lot of young sports writers gain that opportunity in their first job.

As you can tell, I know a lot about this position, and I would recommend it. If you're interested in other details, feel free to PM me.

5. How good is the Sun and the town of Jonesboro?

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Anyone heard anything about this job? I got an email from the editor a few days ago but I have not heard anything since. Any information SportsJournalists.com can provide would be good.

I do know its a dry county, but that's about it. Also 10.000 students is less then a JC at most places.

I am just saying the JC over here in Santa Monica has 32.000 students. I just would have throught that a D1 University would have allot more students then 10.000. It was just an open statment no need to take it so seriously.

7. Huh?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the JC in the town i lived in for 7 years had 14k students.

9. That's crazy.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

from what some folks there told me, the school's advisors eagerly suggested spending three years to get an AA.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My in-laws farm and run a duck hunting guide service not far from there.

It's a dry county, but Jonesboro is damp. There are several clubs and restaurants where you can get a drink. But if you want a six pack at the house, you'll have to drive a bit to the nearest liquor store.

The town is very Southern Baptist (hence the lack of booze). But you're not far from Memphis and St. Louis is an easy drive as well.

I rarely look at the Sun when I'm visiting the in-laws, so I'm not much help there.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on Arkansas alcohol laws. They make Texas look like Bourbon Street.

Draft saved Draft deleted