1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer job in Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TSPsport, May 22, 2007.

1. TSPsport

TSPsport New Member

Company: The Star Press / Gannett
    Position: Seeking talented sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

The job: The Star Press, Muncie, Ind., is looking for a high-energy, fresh-thinking sports reporter to tell the stories that happen both on and off the fields of East Central Indiana. The Star Press covers Division-I Ball State University, 19 high schools and several community sports organizations and events. Applicants must have a wide range of skills, including the ability to produce gamers, features, enterprise packages, analysis, sports news, columns and blog entries. Applicants should be able to work quickly on deadline, manage time properly while developing several stories at once and work well within a beat-based, five-person staff structure. A preference will be placed on applicants who have had professional experience or who have fulfilled multiple internships. A degree in journalism is required. Send a one-page cover letter, résumé and clips to Sports Editor Greg Fallon at P.O. Box 2408, Muncie, IN 47307-0408 or via e-mail at gfallon@muncie.gannett.com.

Note: Open positions (two) are not for the Ball State beat.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

On a somewhat related note, was Greg promoted to sports editor or did he come from another paper?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yup. he was recently promoted from ASE.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Muncie still can't hold a candle to the Haute.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Neither are the wonder that is Fort Wayne.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The question is: Do they cover the Muncie College of Business Administration? Go Eagles!

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm off-base on this, but it seems like Muncie is cycling through a lot of people lately.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They had an opening (seems like) about 4 months ago, but yea, there seem to have been a lot of openings there recently.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The opening was for sports editor, which I applied for and obviously did not get. (You're NOT hired!)

Seriously... congratulations to Greg and good luck in filling the position. Muncie's in the middle of nowhere, but it's a good community.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

One word: Gannett.

Before Gannett bought the place from the Pulliams, there was very little turnover in the sports department. Fresh out of college, I would have loved to go there. Now, not so much. (That and an acquired taste for Southern sweet tea and cheese grits that I've developed since leaving the Midwest....)

As for the Ball State beat, I assume Doug Zaleski is still on it, no? (He's been doing it for at least the past 15 years, back to when Muncie had two papers...)

11. my wife's cousin goes to Ball State. Muncie's nice, but as steveu said, it is in the middle of nowhere. good sports scene though

12. ogre

ogre Member

As someone who grew up in Indiana, let me point out that everywhere in Indiana is in the middle of nowhere. Even Indianapolis, which was is in the exact middle of the state. I guess the Region could be the exception.

Draft saved Draft deleted