1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Jacksonville, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Do you have what it takes? Are you looking for a great opportunity where good work is appreciated? Would you like to help us help those who serve their country? You will be appreciated, have fun and be part of a great team.

You will also have the opportunity to live near the beautiful shore of Coastal Carolina and work for an award winning military newspaper. You will be working side by side with this award winning civilian editorial team and dedicated Marines within the public affairs office of Camp Lejeune.

Your main duties will be predominantly base and local sports coverage, but also include outdoors and news assignments. Our last sports reporter became our assistant editor. Career growth could be the same for you!

Main duties are predominantly base and local sports coverage, but also include outdoors and news assignments. Requirements: - BA in journalism or related liberal arts degree; at least 1 year work experience in print or online publications, public relations, advertising agency or related fields in lieu of BA will be considered (college newspaper experience helpful). - Knowledge of journalism principles and techniques and skill in the use of journalistic research and methods and techniques. -Knowledge of editorial and ethical standards for the research and development of journalistic articles and/or presentations. -Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with excellent people skills. - Proficiency in spelling, grammar, punctuation, style and computer keyboarding (30-40 wpm); ability to conduct in-person and telephone interviews; ability to report and write interesting and accurate stories on deadline, edit copy and generate story ideas. - Creative writing experience and photography experience - Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, decision making, and priority-setting skills. - Excellent time management and organizational skills and ability to work well under deadline pressures. - Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends. - Comfortable with a collaborative and team approach to managing work. - A strong demonstrated commitment to high quality customer service - Candidate must be well organized and be able to write clearly and concisely under deadline pressure. Some knowledge of InDesign and Associated Press style is definite plus. - Photography skills necessary. Employment is contingent on passing a drug screening and a background check. The Globe is based on a US government contract awarded for Camp Lejeune. Compensation will be in low to mid twenties based on an hourly rate with great benefits and paid vacation time.

You can apply online at https://commsjobs.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=2640

Fax your resume and cover letter to Ena Sellers at 910-451-5882 or email ena.sellers@militarynews.com.

We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just don't drink the water...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/24/marines.breast.cancer/

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Is 30-40 wpm really proficient at typing? I would never get done everything I have to do in a given day if I was that slow.

4. spud

spud Member

Oh God do I have what it takes???

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I think this is a Freedom paper, but I'm not sure anymore. When I was out there, I had to file from their offices, and it wasn't bad.
    And if there is one high school team to watch every year, at least when I was there, it was Jacksonville White Oak's girls soccer team. They are a Top 5 program every year.
    Just a couple of bits of information.

6. spud

spud Member

In these darkened days Freedom is one of the few big chains left in which you can place a moderate amount of trust as an employee.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

This is the Camp Lejune non-daily (weekly, I think?). It's a Landmark paper, part of its arm of military papers run out of Norfolk. Jacksonville's daily is Freedom, I believe.

I remember doing an interview for this job a few years ago. Back then you'd cover one on-base high school, one middle school and the rest were Marine leagues and triathlons and things of that nature. Couldn't tell you if that's the case now, but I suspect it is.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is the Lejeune-based Landmark paper, and shouldn't be confused with the Freedom publication based in Jacksonville proper.

They weren't the friendliest bunch years back, and that's no slap at the Marines or anyone else at Camp Lejeune. Hope that has changed.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I interviewed for it in Norfolk back in ... 2005, I think. Person who interviewed me seemed OK, but she may not have had a lot of day-to-day interaction if she was in Norfolk. My mind is foggy.

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Wow! Pay in low-to-mid 20s! PAID vacation! AND possible career growth! What a combo!

11. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

[​IMG]

This is the only thing I can think of. I know nothing about the paper. Carry on.

12. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Sorry for the confusion here on my part. I didn't read the listing and just assumed it was the Freedom paper. I am a complete moron that is full of teh fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted