1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer in Steubenville (OH)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SOBO, Dec 21, 2011.

1. SOBO

SOBO New Member

I don't think the position has been posted anywhere yet, but since I'm the one leaving it; then I obviously know it's becoming available. ;)

Full Times Sports writer
    Steubenville Herald-Star/Weirton Daily Times
    ATTN: Ross Gallabrese (executive editor)
    401 Herald Square
    Steubenville, OH 43952

(Mike Mathison is the sports editor)

It's 99% high school coverage with Big Red football being a state-wide recognized program. There is room and opportunity to do more. For example, I ran a NFL column throughout last year (before I got busy with other things this year).

Reason I'm posting this in here is that it's a small but great atmosphere. Pay obviously isn't great as an Ogden owned newspaper, but it is full-time with benefits. Couldn't ask for a better crew to work with, and I hoped a quality writer could come in and help two sports writers I consider talented friends.

I simply had a better opportunity with ESPN.com, but I wanted to make sure Ogden doesn't drag its feet like they usually do and leave the department hanging.

2. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Isn't this the hometown of Jimmy the Greek?

3. SOBO

SOBO New Member

Yep, and Dean Martin.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

"I simply had a better opportunity with ESPN.com, but I wanted to make sure Ogden doesn't drag its feet like they usually do and leave the department hanging."

That sounds like one heck of a jump.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Are you sure that Ogden is going to fill your position? Or are you just assuming/hoping they will?

Wouldn't be a stretch for a newspaper to not fill a vacant position. Also, just because you posted the address here, doesn't mean the paper would get the clearance to hire from above.

Hopefully they do hire though.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And not too far from the home of Bevo Francis who worked in the steel mill with my dad and uncles.

7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg New Member

Steubenville also gave us Traci Lords.

8. SOBO

SOBO New Member

To the best of my knowledge, yes they are filling my position. It's not a big department to begin with, and they'd be really hurting if they didn't go with another full timer.

As for other comments...

1. Lords is actually from Mingo Junction (just down the Rt.7). Same as the lead singer of Wild Cherry ("Play that Funky Music White Boy")
    2. As for my personal jump, I don't have a lot of traditional paper experience but I feel I got a pretty good background overall working with guys from SI.com and Fox Sports over the years from an online perspective. Never thought I'd be a journalist and kinda fell into it initially.

9. New toys

New toys New Member

I call B.S. on Steubenville to ESPN. Also, gotta love that the guy on his way out the door is the one posting the job ad. Way to piss off your former boss by directing applicants to sneak up and storm his inbox.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I believe it. I know a couple guys who went from simply stringing to working at ESPN and Fox. If he can write, power to him.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I call B.S. on you. You've proven you don't know what you're talking about.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

As it's an Ogden paper, the job might not be posted until it's filled. Always better to get your resume and clips in before the Billy Bloggers know there is a sports opening somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted