1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer in St. George, Cedar City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by s.utah insider, Jun 6, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Story from SUU
    Story from SUU football, where the fans aren't the most savvy. I believe this was last season. ...

There was a crowd literally in the hundreds for the game in question. If there were four digits there, I'd be shocked. And the crowd, particularly the students, didn't exactly know the game.

There was a play where SUU punted. It was a bad punt and it angled toward where the "gunner" was running down field to cover. The gunner didn't see that he was actually running ahead of the football and the ball wound up bouncing up and clipping him on the leg at about the minus-44 before rolling forward and going out of bounds at about the 50.

Well, the officials originally mark the ball at the 50 where it rolled to a stop. But they discussed, decided the ball should be marked where it hit the players leg and move it back to the 44. The referee got on his mike and announced it to the crowd: "The ball will be spotted where it first touched a player at the 44," the ball, the SUU students started cheering, like they were doing the Thunderbirds a favor and not taking six yards of field position from them.

Meanwhile, their SID, Neil, was pounding on the press box window, screaming at the students "You do NOT cheer that! That is NOT a good thing!"

I felt like I was was watching a game in NFL Europe.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

St. George does have an Golden Baseball League team, though as with any indy league, that could change at any time. Plays at Bruce Hurst Field on the Dixie State campus, a stadium that appears from the pictures to have absolutely no covered seating at all. Which I'm sure is awesome in July.

Without knowing this for sure, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably can't get a beer there.

Still, I wish my small town had a baseball team.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

No beer or other alcohol available at state-owned facilities except under special permit, IIRC.

And having covered a high school state tournament at that field, I can tell you it is not a comfortable spot to watch a game unless they have made a few improvements from a few years ago.

If it were me, and it's not, I would rather the job be in Cedar City based soley on the cost of living and D-IAA vs. D-II college sports.

4. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Beastes is a man for all occasions.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Please share this enthusiasm of yours in your cover letter

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's SUU. I've never heard anyone in Utah call it SU.

Three words for Avaholic: You're not hired.

7. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I heard Beau is hung like a mule.

Draft saved Draft deleted