1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer in Reno

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JLawson, Aug 10, 2007.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

It's a bad Gannett paper. You're going to want to rent rather than buy, piece together two years of decent clips and move on.

2. champ

champ New Member

I wasn't necessarily seeking replies directed to me, more just in general, but it's interesting to see the difference in opinions.

3. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Sorry BigD no ax and no benefit, other than not having to read the same thing over and over.

4. JLawson

JLawson Member

Ok well I wasn't going to post anything on here because I'm just an intern but damn you people get ugly around here.
    The guy that's being replaced was nice to me for the short time I've known him and I know he worked a lot over the 24 years (I think) that he's been here. So I won't say anything about him.
    The new SE she's a good person and seems to want to do big things here. So I won't say anything about her.
    I just hope someone good gets the position.
    About Reno, it is expensive no matter what anyone else wants to say. Sure not as pricey as California, but still up there. I know if I was closer to graduation I'd apply for this job, but I still have a year and half left of school.
    Please don't PM about the position because I'm an intern and don't want to put myself in a bad position.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so you posted to say you're not talking and not to PM you? OK. i'm good with that.

6. Anyone heard anything on this? I heard they brought one candidate in and it is/was his job to to lose. Not sure if that is correct, however.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ask jlawson.

8. champ

champ New Member

Leather, where did you hear that?

9. The person I know there does not work in sports so not sure how reliable it is. That's why I asked if anyone had anything more reliable.

10. champ

champ New Member

I know it was mentioned on the Northern Arizona football thread, but has this job gone to Chris Gabel?

11. The job has gone to Chris Gabel. It's a good hire.

12. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I second the good hire. Gabel needs a place like Reno to sharpen up his rusty poker skills. Oh and I guess he could do some solid reporting while he's up there too. But I'm surprised he's moving this far away from his beloved East Valley. Good luck to you Chris.

Draft saved Draft deleted