1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer in Reno

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JLawson, Aug 10, 2007.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was there for a week in July for Volleyball Festival. I knew from previous posts here that they had a new SE. I thought it was a solid section.
    Being summer, they had to stretch for some local stuff, but they found something local for the cover just about every day, even if it was a bullshit feature on their Golden Baseball League team. There was a boxing event in the parking lot of the El Dorado Hotel. Aside from it being 100 degrees at 6 p.m. on a Friday, that was a decent thing.
    Traffic was pretty bad ... and I know all about it living in TrafficVille. Festival scheduling took our team into the suburbs twice, to a middle school gym and a rec center. Both areas were clean and the facilities modern and well kept. Except for downtown, the city seems pretty nice.
    The earlier observation about the dealers being friendly, unlike Vegas, I concur.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was told if I applied for this job I might have a hard time getting it because I am a grad of UNLV, that's f-d up.

3. Tierra

Tierra New Member

I've worked with a few UNLV journalism grads. And they're all really, really, really bad. Put it in really tiny print on your resume. On the back.

On the one hand, it's a decent sized paper in a quickly growing region. On the other hand, you're replacing a longtime reporter (and a damn good one, at that) who was also the paper's sports columnist and whose wife is a senior editor at the same paper. He quit to go to a Web site that can't be paying him nearly as much.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, what a broad brush to stroke and way to call out RossLT.
    So, because you worked with a few UNLV journalism grads every single one of them sucks?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, just wow. the bvtry was very, very amazing. nice work, douche.

6. Tierra

Tierra New Member

All I'm saying is, the reputation may be well-deserved.

7. Go State

Go State Member

The bashing of UNLV grads aside, does anyone know when they plan to fill this?

8. It takes the right kind of person to work at the RGJ. This is one of the worst Gannett stops there is. The new publisher has a stellar reputation. The deadlines are a joke -- this has to be the only West Coast paper that does not have West Coast scores in its final edition. The job is open because a talented 19-year veteran walked away.

9. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

I hear the veteran walked away because he had to write three stories a week and a column. Rough.

10. But was he a UNLV grad?

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I wish I could apply for this job. I would happily pick up and move there tomorrow.

I spent four days there (well, Reno/Tahoe) on a vacation a few years ago while my wife had her staff retreat. I fell in love with the place.

12. thebigd

thebigd Member

I wish people that don't know about a situation would quit being so flippant. Twin-killing. The guy that walked away not only covered preps but also UNR baseball, and worked six days a week during the school year. Reno doesn't care much about the preps until playoff time, really. The person that left covered football every Friday and Saturday, wrote a general interest column once a week and did a prep page every Friday with stats, a feature and preview of the weekend's games. I've know the guy for about 10 years. Lazy is one thing he isn't. So please twinkilling pipe down an say smart things on here not ignorant things.

Draft saved Draft deleted