1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer in Reno

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JLawson, Aug 10, 2007.

1. JLawson

JLawson Member

Company: Reno Gazette-Journal
    Position: Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 14, 2007
    Job ID: 814013

Description:
    The Reno Gazette-Journal, a Gannett-owned newspaper in Northern Nevada, is seeking a full-time sports writer.

Requirements The successful candidate will be our lead prep writer and will cover up to 40 area high schools, with potential for development as a preps/GA columnist. The RGJ is making a number of changes to its prep sports coverage, including the launch of a new sports web site, a new preps database and more reader-writer interaction online. Our hire should be a hard working individual willing to bring great organization and high energy to the job, as well as an interest in enterprisers and features that go beyond the regular, everyday offerings. To apply, send complete resume and samples of edited and unedited work to PO Box 22000, Reno, NV 89520 or email to lgustus@rgj.com with clips attached. The Reno Gazette-Journal offers an excellent benefits package including 401k, retirment, paid vacation, sick and opportunity for advancement.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

im curious what the pay would be on this one

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Is it odd that they are asking for edited and unedited clips? I've heard of copy editors doing that, but haven't seen that request for reporting jobs. When I work the desk I'll occasionally print out a story I really improved or caught some good things. When I report I usually don't do this, unless I want to edit my own copy on paper before passing it along to the SE.

Don't know much about the paper, but Reno and Lake Tahoe are great areas.

4. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

The editor there is new, but comes from good stock. The paper will only get better and more dynamic. And Reno ain't bad.

5. thebigd

thebigd Member

It is Gannett, and that should scare a lot of people away, because of their bottom line policy. The past prep guy apparently had been with the paper 19 years, and wasn't given any input on how they were going to handle preps this year under the new sports editor's leadership. The lack of respect shown was typical for a Gannett paper. They have just seven full-time people on staff, and they moved up their deadlines which made it impossible to get full roundups in the early editions this past year. Their last hire was a gal on the desk, who had ZERO experience. They seem to want to hire cheap these days. The area is nice with lots of good golf and gambling.

6. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Ok so I know a little bit about this so let me set you straight. First off the guy who was preps writer was there for 24 years. He had input as to what to do for preps, but didn't want to change the old way he did things, ie. no blogs, no preps data base with stats and schedules, etc. Sure the staff is small right now, but they are trying use more stringers at least through the university. Also the new SE does have experience she was the ASE in SLC. No I'm not her, I just know people there. She seems to have a good plan for the paper and the budget seems to be changing for the better (except them buying out the people in imaging to outsourse like the rest of Gannett). If anyone has any questions you can PM me about it, I might be able to give you answers. Also move quickly to apply they are trying to fill it fast from what I here (preps fb here in less than two weeks).

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll say it: Gannett sucks. This one really is 15 minutes from Tahoe, give or take.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Watch out for the cops out there in Reno. Comedy Central's documentary on them sure makes them look WACKY!

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Know people who live there.......they have to pay well, only because the cost of living is so ridiculously high up there.

10. champ

champ New Member

I can't believe this job isn't getting more talk.
    Nobody knows anything nor has an opinion on it?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think the gambling is excellent. Cheap with friendly dealers, or in other words the polar opposite of the Vegas strip. I keep needling an editor friend at another Gannett paper to jump on this, I need excuses to travel to Reno.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I enjoyed Reno the time I went there. It is a little dirty and they have terrible road construction, but where in America doesn't? I have a buddy who lives there and he loves it. If you like the outdoors, Reno is not a bad place at all. Plus, the Bay Area is not that far away if you want to catch some baseball games.

Draft saved Draft deleted