1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer in Monroe, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wheaties, Jul 25, 2006.

1. wheaties

wheaties Member

There's a job opening for a sports writer at The Enquirer-Journal in Monroe, N.C., which is about 45 minutes SE of Charlotte. The sports section (which is the sports editor, this sports writing position, two part-timers and a couple stringers) covers eight high schools and a D-II University in the county, as well as some Panthers and Bobcats. The newspaper's circulation is roughly 10K and it comes out Tuesday through Sunday.

The job entails writing gamers, features and columns, as well as desk work. Experience is obviously preferred (be it at a college paper, internship, weekly or daily) because you'll need to do a lot of different things and do them well. But this is a good first job for a college graduate or someone looking to move up from a weekly, and you should end up with some really impressive clips, especially with the opportunities to cover professional sports a few times each season. Make no mistake, though - high school coverage is the main focus of the section. But don't worry, you won't be out doing 12-year-old Babe Ruth games or T-ball. The section is busy enough with eight high schools and everything above them.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume and clips (and references if you're so inclined) to Jerry Snow, Sports Editor, The Enquirer-Journal, 500 W. Jefferson St., Monroe, N.C., 28111.

I'm not Jerry, but PM with me any questions and I should be able to either help or pass them along to Jerry.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Not a bad area of the world to live. It's about 30 miles from the east end of Charlotte, and two hours from Myrtle Beach. If you want to impress the locals, it's pronounced MONroe, though over time, the pronunciation has become yankeeized. Just watch your speed on Hwy. 601. :eek:

3. wheaties

wheaties Member

It was suggested to me that I mention how the last two writers have used this as a stepping stone, because it may make the job more appealing.

The guy who is leaving worked at The E-J for two years and is taking jobs that split his time between washingtonpost.com (30 hours per week) and The Washington Post (12 hours).

The guy before him worked there for three and a half years in sports (something like two in news) and left to become the national writer for Street and Smith's magazine.

So don't discount this job because of the circulation size. If you're talented and hard-working, and you make good contacts and put in a couple years, you can definitely use this experience to move up when you move on.

4. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

Is this job still available??

5. wheaties

wheaties Member

Yes.

The editor has talked to a couple people, I believe, but a hire has not been made yet.

6. psl38

psl38 New Member

Hi, any idea on the salary range here?

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Any movement on this job? Not asking for myself, but a friend who is looking to get out of a bad situation at a nearby paper ...

8. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Yeah, is this job still open? Also, what is the pay grade & what are the benes?

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Being it's a Paxton paper, I'm sure the pay is quite low.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Any movement on this job? Got a friend who may be interested ...

11. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

It has been FIVE months...

Draft saved Draft deleted