1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Idaho Falls, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Sep 13, 2007.

1. YerkillinmePetey

YerkillinmePetey New Member

I am the esteemed (or not so much) former sports editor at this paper. Let me clear up a couple things that were mentioned on here, and then make a couple comments, then I'll pull my head back into this nice huge West Texas shell.

We (I) covered the Fiesta Bowl. We (I) covered the Las Vegas Bowl as well. We (I or anyone else at that paper) have actually never covered the Humanitarian/MPC Computers/Ray's Truck Stop (or whatever it's being called now) Bowl. We have covered Boise State in Boise, Idaho in Moscow, and all three Utah schools in their home stadiums, some for mens basketball as well as football. Also, the Jazz stuff is there as much as you want it to be, time permitting with the high school basketball and spring sports seasons in full swing.

The now-infamous BYU stringer incident was a bad situation at the time that turned out to be a pretty big joke. The paper DID NOT, as Idaho suggested, lose its credentials to cover BYU. In fact, the person being replaced with this posting went and covered BYU's next home game (and didn't wear a single speck of blue, and turned his cell phone, imagine that). Relations between the PR and BYU's SID staff are just fine. This stringer did everything he was accused of on here.. except it was Jason beck, not John Beck, who delivered the classic "Well, at least it's our fight song" line (it was the USU game, John was out with the "Don't want to waste our kickass QB on this crappy team" disease). The paper promptly pulled his credential for BYU games only -- it was HIS decision to not work other games for us (high school and youth). I can't really say more, since I've been told he's since taken legal action against BYU and the PR.

As azom said, the staff has turned over at an alarming rate over the past couple years, even for our business. I left in August, and the person leaving with this posting was my senior sports writer while I was there. And no, the previous SE -- me -- did not write the God's country stuff. That was my very-boisterous-but-very-cool former Managing Editor. He's on a sabattical, so someone else, presumably the interim, is writing the ads. That being said, it is very beautiful there. The greenbelt rocks, there are some awesome mountains in view from your window on a clear morning, and Yellowstone and Craters of the Moon are a couple hours drive. Great fishing, great watersports, skiing, hunting, is even closer.

As for the job itself.. it's a lot of prep coverage, but make no mistake -- if you want the extra assignments and can find time to fit them in, the rest of the college stuff is available. Things have changed a bit since Idaho and azom worked here -- the PR does a lot more regional stuff than it ever did before. It's a great starter job, and unless you're holding out for the rare entry-level college beat writer position, such as the ones at the paper 50 miles away, I'd jump on it if you're looking to get your foot in the door.

Anything else, go ahead and PM me.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Well, then, I stand corrected and will chastise the person who gave me incorrect information.

And I will agree with petey that this is a good opportunity for just about any starting journalist and gets my stamp of approval. I hope that is more valuable than the Boots stamp of approval.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

That goes without saying.

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

They have made a hire, though I don't know who the lucky person is

5. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

Where did you hear this from? I got an e-mail from the sports editor not two days ago saying he'd be in touch, but I have yet to hear from him. Hmmm .... *scratches head*

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

quite the pipeline.

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

I just got an e-mail from Jeff Pinkham saying he had made a hire

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

quite the pipeline.

Draft saved Draft deleted