1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Idaho Falls, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Sep 13, 2007.

1. azom

azom Member

I worked at this paper and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's a family-owned paper and the longer I'm in the business, the more this speaks volumes. While I was there, we did a lot of game coverage and not much in the way of previews/features, but from what I hear, the paper has gone away from the day-to-day gamer grind and is doing more featurey stuff. Of course, the entire staff has turned over since my time there.

IF is a neat town, neat as in almost too squeaky-clean. Lots of cool trips within a day's drive. Reasonable cost of living. The job gets a thumbs up from me.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The West can be a pretty awesome place to live. It tends to be cleaner and (IMHPO) prettier than many other places in the country. And the area near Yellowstone is gorgeous, although I can't speak for Idaho Falls particularly.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Seriously, these guys need some Starman Justice. Where do you ever get the idea that doing that is OK?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

old sports turned desk guy at my first stop told me about covering a bumfuck state championship game -- even for that paper -- in the middle of nowhere, circa 1985. said wetspot high lost to drippydick high and wetspot's 40-year-old "beat" guy came walking out of the school's locker room after the team meeting, sat down in the hallway, put his head in his hands and started weeping. old sports turned desk guy said he walked toward the locker room door, "accidentally" tripped on the weaper, and dropped his cup of chew spit he'd been collecting the past two hours on the guy's lap.

i loved that guy. i think i'm going to call him this weekend.

5. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I guess at least he didn't cry during the interviews.

It's amazing to me that these guys can call themselves journalists when the embarrass their papers in such a fashion.

6. I was a news editor for my college paper. Went to a basketball game one night and noticed our writer decked out in a jersey and headband. A fucking headband/sweatband whatever you call it. After I was done with him at halftime, he covered the rest wearing a white undershirt and windbreaker. No matter what the level, that shit isn't professional, and this asshat wondered why the local daily wouldn't let him string.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

They went to the Fiesta Bowl ... as well as the Las Vegas Bowl for BYU. So, have they been to a BSU game? Yes. Just not in Boise.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow. Color me shocked that they went to the Fiesta Bowl.
    I am not surprised they went to the Las Vegas Bowl for BYU considering the high concentration of Mormons in Idaho, but I never would have guessed they would have gone to the Fiesta Bowl.
    Who covered it for them?

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

The former SE, who now resides in your neck of the woods

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe he did tell me that and I forgot.
    Still surprising.

11. Why is that surprising? Didn't every paper in every nook and cranny of Idaho cover the Fiesta Bowl? I got sick of hearing about it.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I wasn't in Idaho at the point, but I highly doubt every paper went to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted