1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Idaho Falls, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Sep 13, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Our friends at the Idaho Falls Post-Register are hiring again. They must have someone new writing the ads — the old "Big Talk with your barrista" line is missing.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=827282

Position: Seeking sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: October 17, 2007
    Job ID: 827282

Description:
    The Post Register, an award-winning daily in southeastern Idaho, seeks an energetic sports writer to round out its talented staff. Our sports writers spend most of their time covering the 22 high schools in our readership, but also venture out to report on the Utah Jazz and several successful college teams, including BYU and Boise State. Experience with Quark a plus. We want someone who is passionate about sports and is willing to try new things with their writing and story ideas. Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and examples of their work to: Jeff Pinkham, sports editor, at jpinkham@postregister.com or mail to The Post Register, 333 Northgate Mile, P.O. Box 1800, Idaho Falls, ID 83403

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Who left and how long has the SE been there?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The SE has only been there a couple of months. The old SE moved to Texas.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I hear John Taylor is looking for a gig.

5. mose

mose Member

Pinkham is actually returning for his second stint in this job. Was the SE there 6-7 years ago. Don't know what he's been doing in the interim.

6. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I'm sure it's because the old SE left, but this is the first time I've ever seen an ad for this place where it didn't say "Come on up to God's country."

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wouldn't call the old SE religious.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The ME who wrote all those barrista and 'God's country' ads is on (if I heard this correctly) a sabatical back east. So the ads won't be quite so nauseating.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Boise State, BYU and Utah Jazz coverage. It'd be a once or twice a year bonus thing to cover one of those games unless things have changed dramatically.

Also, if you do cover a BYU game, don't show up at the pressbox in Provo wearing BYU gear head to toe and having your BYU fight song ring tone go off during the post-game press conference. A former BYU stringer for this paper did that.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought it was interesting they say they cover Boise State. I would be absolutely shocked if they went to a BSU game.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Me too. I could see the IF PR covering the Humanitarian Bowl is BSU was playing in it, but other than that, the only BSU I could see them covering would be a men's or women's basketball game in Pocatello against Idaho State.

I'm also guessing they left ISU out of the job description because they included the words "successful college teams."

11. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

From what I heard, after it went off during the press conference, John Beck looked at the guy and said, "Well, at least it's our fight song."

How embarrassing.

12. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

We used to have a guy here who would always show up decked up in the colors of whatever team he was covering, whether it was the local high schools or the D-I college here. And I mean head-to-toe. As in hat, shirt, jacket and windbreaker pants from each team.

It's taken me nearly two years to repair the damage this guy did to our paper's credibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted