1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Idaho Falls, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by YerkillinmePetey, Jul 12, 2006.

1. BSUrules

BSUrules Guest

Re: Entry-level sports writer, Idaho Fall Post Register

I love newbie bitches, though not big ones.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Good job for an entry level guy/gal. You will do a ton of writing, build your resume, get good clips and be able to move on if/when you chose to do so.

And who cares how many Starbucks there are? Who can afford to drink there anyway?

Any other questions? Ask me (or Mitch) in a PM.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I applied for a job there years ago, when I was first coming out of college. The rejection letter started off "Dear Journalist". Gotta admit, that stung a little. :'(

4. Needles

Needles Member

Batman, I'm sure Mr. Worthington will learn from his predecessor's mistake and be more sensitive should you fail to make the cut again. ;)

needles

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Notice how Pocatello isn't used as a selling point for this job ...

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe this time I'll get a "Dear Washout" letter ;D

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You mean we were competing for cash on those threads? Screw modesty. It is so on next time, bitches.

8. YerkillinmePetey

YerkillinmePetey New Member

Yes, I will do my best to be something less than a prick to the people we choose not to hire. Any idea who the Editor was back then, Batman?

And Pocatello wasn't used as a selling point for this job because the stuff north and east of Idaho Falls is a lot nicer than the stuff south. :) We do cover Idaho State athletics, which is in Pocatello, but that beat is filled, at least for now. There will still be opportunities to cover some ISU stuff, though.. there's plenty to go around. We'd rather tout the chance to see Yellowstone, climb the Tetons (if you're Harrison Ford) and fish and float the Snake River as opposed to talking about a hardly-used railroad and two or three decent college bars. :)

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No idea, sorry. It was about eight years ago, in the summer of '98, so whoever it was back then.

10. YerkillinmePetey

Hmm.. not sure who that would have been. I've worked under the past three SE's here, and I know who the SE was before the one that hired me, but I think the guy who blew you off is before that. Anyway.. I'd assume if you were applying for an entry-level job eight years ago, you're pretty far beyond it now.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mitch, I have a longstanding hatred of everything Pocatello, so it was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment. :) I still fondly remember when the ISJ dedicated an editorial to me, and when I got booed at Holt Arena. Ah the memories ...

12. YerkillinmePetey

So you could pretty much be... any Idaho State athlete or coach over the past 10 years. Let's narrow it down some.. over-under on the number of times you made the ISJ's police blotter.. Set it at 3..

;D ;D ;D :-X

Draft saved Draft deleted