1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Idaho Falls, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by YerkillinmePetey, Jul 12, 2006.

1. YerkillinmePetey

YerkillinmePetey New Member

Job: Entry-level sports writer
    Newspaper: Post Register
    Salary: Negotiable
    Position: Full-time

Entry-level sports writer. We are looking for a sports staffer who thrives on Batman hours and is committed to getting it right. Competence in AP sports style and general sports knowledge are required. You'll do phoners, cover games, and dream up enterprise stories and charticles for a paper bent on serving busy smart readers. It's a bonus if you know QuarkXpress and Photoshop and have a working understanding of modern newspaper design. If you write for readers and are ready to get your start, , send your clips. Outside and Outdoor Life rate ours a top Rockies town. If you need opera and the Sunday New York Times on your doorstep, we're not for you. The nearest city is Salt Lake, 3.5 hours by car. If you like to ski fresh powder, paddle whitewater, fish blue ribbon streams, hike, bike or hunt, we are for you. Recent employee survey rates the Post Register well above average, particularly high re: supervisor respect, enjoyable work, pride in the paper. We are an employee-owned paper and a reputation for strong launches: alums who paid their dues her have landed at the coast's largest papers as well as the Washington Post and Sports Illustrated. It ain't bragging if ya done it. This year, the newsroom won the Scripps Howard national journalism award for service to the First Amendment and the reporter snagged a $10,000 Livingston, awarded to the best local news reporter under age 35. Serious, ready-to-leave-home applicants only. Send letter, resume, references and clips to Dean Miller, Managing Editor, The Post Register, 333 Northgate Mile, Idaho Falls, ID 83401. E-mail: dmiller@postregister.com

2. Al_Czervik

Al_Czervik Member

So did Idaho Falls hire its new SE from within and that would be the reason for this opening?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My guess is that Mitch Worthington is the new SE there and that is why he is posting the thread. But it is only a guess.

4. Needles

Needles Member

You'd be correct, sir. Mitch was named sports editor this week.

needles

5. YerkillinmePetey

YerkillinmePetey New Member

Apparently, Needles is closer to this situation than I am, since i just found out a couple hours ago. :) But yes, we did hire from within. The Managing Editor is going to handle the preliminary stages of the hire so I can concentrate on other things.. like.. ya know.. not getting fired before the outgoing SE is gone. But once he pares the list down, I'll make the final decision. So if anyone has any questions.. pm me or ask here, I care not.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Entry-level sports writer, Idaho Fall Post Register

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=185454

Company: The Post Register
    Position: Entry-level sportswriter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: August 17, 2006
    Job ID: 185454

Description:
    Entry-level sports writer. We are looking for a sports staffer who thrives on Batman hours and is committed to getting it right. Competence in AP sports style and general sports knowledge are required. You'll do phoners, cover games, and dream up enterprise stories and charticles for a paper bent on serving busy smart readers. It's a bonus if you know QuarkXpress and Photoshop and have a working understanding of modern newspaper design. If you write for readers and are ready to get your start, , send your clips. Outside and Outdoor Life rate ours a top Rockies town. If you need opera and the Sunday New York Times on your doorstep, we're not for you. The nearest city is Salt Lake, 3.5 hours by car. If you like to ski fresh powder, paddle whitewater, fish blue ribbon streams, hike, bike or hunt, we are for you. Recent employee survey rates the Post Register well above average, particularly high re: supervisor respect, enjoyable work, pride in the paper. We are an employee-owned paper and a reputation for strong launches: alums who paid their dues her have landed at the coast's largest papers as well as the Washington Post and Sports Illustrated. It ain't bragging if ya done it. This year, the newsroom won the Scripps Howard national journalism award for service to the First Amendment and the reporter snagged a $10,000 Livingston, awarded to the best local news reporter under age 35. Serious, ready-to-leave-home applicants only. Send letter, resume, references and clips to Dean Miller, Managing Editor, The Post Register, 333 Northgate Mile, Idaho Falls, ID 83401...dmiller@postregister.com

I would think about applying...but there's only one Starbucks in the town.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Entry-level sports writer, Idaho Fall Post Register

First time I ever got to tell someone they d_b-ed a thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/29278/

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Ah, yes, apparently I should scroll the page rather than assume a *new* post on jjobs means a new opening...

however, newbie, shut up and fetch me a beer.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nah, don't worry about it. I am just a newbie in name. So, why don't you fetch me a Henry Weinhard's, since they don't have them where I live. Or, in worst case scenario a Pyramid.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Angola! = newbie

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Fuck off Broncos!

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

Angola! = big newbie