1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Huntsville Item

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JakeandElwood, May 26, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is the paper, BTW, that got some cheap national headlines by holding a baseball boycott during the last labor unrest.

http://reds.enquirer.com/2002/08/25/red_texas_paper_to.html

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I got a AME job there without a degree.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Believe it or not, it was a VERY rare night when we didn't have an all-local 1A. That's community journalism for you.

And sports only had two people. News had me and two or three full-timers. Of course, I invariably contributed a story as well as laying out all of the A section.

4. Hey, it's a good opportunity to do some award-winning enterprise on the prison football and baseball leagues if you look at the glass as half-full.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Last time I checked, they don't have prison football or baseball leagues. And sadly, the prison rodeo, an incredibly popular event in its time, is no longer held and hasn't been for a while. There's frequently talk about bringing it back, but nothing ever happens.

6. Word is this job has been filled.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Years ago, Sam Houston State University was known as Sam Houston Institute of Technology (SHIT). Some enterprising students took creative license with the acronym and had t-shirts and other merchandise printed.

Red-faced administrators were forced to call the governor to convene a special session of the state legislature to approve an official name change.

BTW, most famous journalism alum is Dan Rather, who has some hilarious stories from his days there (as told to my senior journalism class at university).

Typical, small-town, hometown paper in the conservative south. If you go, bring the bug spray.

8. spud

spud Member

I'm sure the guy who took this job three months ago appreciates the input.

Draft saved Draft deleted