1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Huntsville Item

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JakeandElwood, May 26, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

During football season, they cover Huntsville, New Waverly, Madisonville and a few other 3A schools. During the other seasons, mainly just Huntsville, with a smattering of New Waverly.

Their sports staff is two, their news staff is five or six, last I checked.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

As I posted earlier, they usually send people to my place for football and men's basketball, so they do travel some. They don't ever come for baseball.

Tom told me this would be a hyrbrid position which would be position No. 3 on their staff.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hmmm...then that's a new role of which I was unaware.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

What do you mean by hybrid? Hopefully it's not like 60% sports and 40% news. I would rather design pages three times a week than be effectively a part time sports guy doing news too.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That may be what he's referring to ... a part-time designer/part-time reporter. The news (AME) and features editors typically did that same thing.

6. BrianGriffin

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sounds like someone knows how the Item does things. :D

Don't anyone misunderstand me. I enjoyed working at the Item because a majority of the people in the newsroom were absolutely fantastic. But as with many newspapers, the higher management and the expectations on a small and overworked staff really were issues.

8. BrianGriffin

I've never worked there. I'm just familiar with Tom and Cody from running across them on the beat so when they had an opening I called Tom to ask about it. I've since suggested it as a possibility to a couple of young reporters who are in worse situations or are looking for a first job.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Tom and Cody were both great guys.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

would the absence of a degree hurt? i am thinking of getting some stuff together and sending it in.

11. spud

spud Member

Won't help but, as always, strong clips and experience overcomes all.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how often is an all local front expected in the A section? and are there just as many sports folks as there are news folks?

Draft saved Draft deleted