1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Houston, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Houston Community Newspapers, a leader of community newspapers, is seeking a community minded jounalist for a Reporter position located in the Northwest Houston area. Under the direction of an editor, the reporter is responsible for gathering and analyzing information of newsworthy events in the community and writing stories for publications. A responsible attitude, good work ethic, research skills, and creativity are necessary attributes. The work environment is fast paced with strict deadlines. A degree in journalism, English or Communications is preferred, but qualified entry level candidates will be considered. Resumes from Texas will be considered. Email resume and writing samples to: jobs@hcnonline.com; fax: 281-668-1126. EOE

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

Will resumes from Rhode Island be considered???

Some strange wording in this one...it is a sports reporting job...correct?

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Anyone know which part of Houston this is in? I never understood why they would never include which section (HCN has 37 weeklies, or somewhere around that number).

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I've freelanced with this chain. That's all I got.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm guessing you might be in the Cy-Fair, Cy-Ridge, Cy-Creek, Cy Young area. Maybe out to Tomball. But I'm only guessing.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Try Katy.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I was just in Houston last weekend. I was in my buddy's wedding. It was unbelievably hot wearing a tux in 95-plus weather, but I got a chance to check out the city.

I was really impressed, aside from the oppressive heat, humidity and traffic.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

AlleyAllen could describe the area better than I, but NW Houston is a huge sprawling area that is mostly actually in Houston city limits but suburban by any other measure. Maybe part of Katy ISD falls in this area, but also Cy-Fair, Spring Branch, Klein, Spring and Aldine. All massive districts with multiple 5A schools.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Is this job Katy? Because when I think Katy, I think due west, not northwest. Katy's right there on I-10 with Ft. Bend County south of it (SW Houston area) and the Cypress school district to its north (Northwest Houston) on through spring and Tomball and all that stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted