1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Houghton, Mich.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by UPChip, Aug 4, 2014.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

We at the Daily Mining Gazette are looking for a full-time sports writer.

The hire will be one of two in our little corner of the institution and the majority of his or her beat work will be with Michigan Tech's athletic program, which includes strong Division II programs, particularly in football and basketball, and a Division I hockey program that has produced the likes of Tony Esposito, Randy McKay and even John Scott. There will also be time working with the Division III hockey, basketball (and in 2015, football) teams at Finlandia University in neighboring Hancock, plus preps coverage in our area, the Keweenaw region of northern Upper Michigan. I do my best to help out with Tech stuff when there are schedule pile-ups, but I prefer to delegate our most important beats to people who can devote themselves to it full-time.

Photography and design experience is a plus, and if you don't have it already, we'll train you on it. Love of, or at least tolerance of, snow is a must. The U.P. can be a challenging place to live (much of our coverage area cleared 300 inches of snow last winter), but this is the kind of place that some people come to and never leave, because of the stunning natural beauty and friendly folks.

Of course, it's going to pay like most entry-level sorts of positions pay, but the cost of living in the U.P. is fairly low, and if someone's looking for a good start for a couple years, it's not a bad option, especially if you like the outdoors. Opportunities for hiking, biking, skiing, etc., abound here, and Houghton is a pretty underrated college town, if you ask me.

SJ helped me find a very good staffer in December 2011 and we were fortunate to have him as long as he did, and with him moving on to other opportunities closer to home, I'm hoping I can go to this well for another winning hire. I (with help from stringers) will probably have to get the 2014-15 school year going solo, so I'm hoping to get this filled ASAP.

If there's some interest, please PM me and I can tell you more and give you places to send official info.

2. jsimp

jsimp Member

What is your email address? I wanted to contact you and email my materials for the position.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The person that gets this job must...must....MUST love hills and snow...Houghton/Tech can be a lot of fun (even in the winter)...and that's coming from a NMU grad!

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You aren't kidding there. I thought WE got a lot of snow in West Michigan this year (and I'm about 20 miles from Lake Michigan...)

5. Reading is an important life skill.

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

But reading comprehension apparently is not.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If you can't research an email address for a newspaper, I'm not sure you're qualified for a reporter position.

8. toivo99

toivo99 Member

UPChip is the best at what he does within a 200-mile radius. HOWEVER, the managing editor and publisher are the worst human beings I have dealt with in 10 years of newspapering. Proceed cautiously.

9. The publisher's name should be familiar to most of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted